NVIDIA's Kepler-based GPUs Rumored to Feature Dynamic Overclocking

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's being rumored that NVIDIA's upcoming Kepler-based graphics cards will feature dynamic overclocking, much like Intel's 'Turbo'. On Intel's side, if a particular process needs a little more oomph, Turbo kicks in and gives certain cores a clock boost. NVIDIA's implementation will almost be a verbatim replica of Turbo, as once a game can take advantage of additional power, the GPU will get a clock boost of around 5~7%.

nvidia_geforce_gtx_680_031212.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Kayden

Tech Monkey
This sounds like a good idea on paper but in real world situations, I doubt it will be so simple. The voltage is one thing, but what about heat and artifacting? This seems more to me about putting the name turbo on a brand to make it sound like it's faster for increased sales, when in actuality it is under-clocking the GPU and only bringing it to it's full potential in certain situations. I for one do no care for it. Yes, I have the same view about intels little play on words as well.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
This seems more to me about putting the name turbo on a brand to make it sound like it's faster for increased sales, when in actuality it is under-clocking the GPU and only bringing it to it's full potential in certain situations.

That's exactly it. It can also go in the opposite direction to my knowledge, to underclock when a game simply cannot take advantage of the extra power. Also, the auto-overclocking wouldn't touch the voltage... the speed it can hit would be validated by NVIDIA for all 680's.

Brett Thomas

Senior Editor
That's exactly it. It can also go in the opposite direction to my knowledge, to underclock when a game simply cannot take advantage of the extra power. Also, the auto-overclocking wouldn't touch the voltage... the speed it can hit would be validated by NVIDIA for all 680's.

So, as Kay mentions, it's underclocking the chip as its baseline, then ramping up the juice where/when it needs it.

If indeed it can also DROP power when a game does not need all those horses in there, I think that would be marvelous. I'd love for a gpu that can sip power when not in use or scale back when on a more low-end title. After all, you really don't need 250FPS!