NVIDIA Releases PhysX 3.0 SDK with a Major Focus on Performance

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Timed with the opening of E3, NVIDIA earlier this week announced that its PhysX 3.0 SDK is prepared for developers to snatch, and as the major version number would suggest, there's lots that NVIDIA brings to the table here. Perhaps of most importance, the entire engine has been rewritten, which should result in a higher level of efficiency, bringing forth much improved performance.

nvidia_physx_official_logo.png

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
I am really excited to see what devs will do with this SDK. When they announced this a while back I really, really got excited for the possibilities because I am a phsyx fan. I really hate Havok or anything else software based, everything gets hung up way too easily, can't break something, it's too easy to break or something screwy happens far far too often. I know Physx in the past has been a pain but I really hope this new SDK will make things easier, friendlier and in general less labor intensive on the development side to make this tech a reality in games. Batman AA showed us how it could be done right, now lets see how well it can be used if every one give it a small chance.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I haven't played Batman: Arkham Asylum, but we need more games that push PhysX like that in order to see the tech become something that gamers really want. I'm in the process of installing Mirror's Edge since I'm long overdue for playing through it, and look forward to experiencing some good use of PhysX. Nothing like a realistic window break to game a game exciting.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
Trust me dude the Phsyx in Batman AA had me grinning ear to ear to know that consoles could never be this good, at least in this gen. Here is a vid of what to expect if you aren't sure of what they had in there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luSAnouAFJs

EDIT
Another Phsyx element that isn't highlighted in the video is Batman's cape. With Phsyx on it moves more dynamically when it is off it is much more flat and lifeless.

Last edited:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Trust me dude the Phsyx in Batman AA had me grinning ear to ear to know that consoles could never be this good, at least in this gen. Here is a vid of what to expect if you aren't sure of what they had in there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luSAnouAFJs

EDIT
Another Phsyx element that isn't highlighted in the video is Batman's cape. With Phsyx on it moves more dynamically when it is off it is much more flat and lifeless.

Fabrics have been the only thing PhysX has done well from the start. I was a huge believer and true supporter in the technology at first. I stopped caring some time ago when there wasn't anything that showcased the potentials.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
I don't think there was much at start I agree, Cell Factor made a great case but when Nvidia bought them it really stalled for a great long while. I do think think that Mafia 2 made great strides with glass shattering and explosions (with boxes and other elements), however the game was so below average that the Phsyx was overlooked. I think it has made some great strides in the last few years so I think it is time start bringing back the hope.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I agree Kayden.

Cell Factor was fun to play around with and I cut my editorial teeth so to speak, with Ageia.

I would like to see destructible physics in a game where it works to your advantage. Glass and cloth make things look realistic but I would like to see them as beneficial aspects of the game. GRAW touched on this a bit but it wasn't far enough. I want to be able to manipulate an environment to give me an advantage. We are getting there but it's taken a while.