NVIDIA Now Offering Mobile Graphics Drivers on their Website

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
If you're a notebook user, and especially a notebook gamer, you probably know the frustration of finding updated drivers for your particular model. Some manufacturers include updater programs, but most are finicky, and most manufacturer's websites are so counter-intuitive that it makes finding updated drivers a chore (I've experienced a lot of them). Even worse is when you look for a graphics driver. Good luck!

NVIDIA looks to finally remedy the stress of finding the latest mobility driver by offering them on their own website, right alongside the desktop variants. I have no idea why this took so long, but now that it's here, it should make our lives a lot easier. NVIDIA touts the ability to unleash the power for the latest games, Adobe CS4, PhysX and CUDA-based applications with the latest drivers.

Currently, all 8 and 9-series mobile GPUs are taken care of, with the 7 and Quadro NVS-series due out early next year. I can't help but repeat myself... it's about time. I've always been frustrated by the lack of mobile drivers available on the official vendor websites, and now we are at least half-way there. ATI's been offering mobile drivers for a while, but unless you're using a notebook with an X1800 or earlier, you're going to be disappointed.

nvidia_9800gtxm_121908.jpg

The first graphics driver release from NVIDIA will extend the NVIDIA CUDA architecture to notebook GPUs, enabling the growing number of consumers moving to a notebook-only lifestyle to immediately experience the wide range of CUDA-based applications-from heart-stopping GPU-accelerated game physics to GPU-accelerated video conversion.

Source: NVIDIA Notebook Drivers