NVIDIA GPU Physics close...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It was big news when NVIDIA snatched up AGEIA, but what's happened since? Well, NVIDIA has been busy working to port the PhysX libraries to Cuda, and according to Tom's Hardware, things are coming along nicely.

While Intel's Nehalem demo had 50,000-60,000 particles and ran at 15-20 fps (without a GPU), the particle demo on a GeForce 9800 card resulted in 300 fps. If the very likely event that Nvidia's next-gen parts (G100: GT100/200) will double their shader units, this number could top 600 fps, meaning that Nehalem at 2.53 GHz is lagging 20-40x behind 2006/2007/2008 high-end GPU hardware. However, you can't ignore the fact that Nehalem in fact can run physics.

Sounds good. Let's just see NVIDIA push for better physics in games than the mere tech demos AGEIA pushed out themselves.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/04/14/nvidia_gpu_physics_engine_up_and_running_almost_/

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
This is huge news for in-game physics. With NVIDIA's muscle, this could really jump start the "revolution."

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Actually in 3DMARK06....I think it tests for physics, if you notice the logo of Agia........it's there anyway

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
They got their logo a lot of places. Didn't make the card any more purchasable. With NVIDIA making the 8 and 9 series of GPUs PhysX capable by a simple download is incredible. This is what Ageia needed... well, if they were still independent that is. I think this is going to be good down the road.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
They got their logo a lot of places. Didn't make the card any more purchasable. With NVIDIA making the 8 and 9 series of GPUs PhysX capable by a simple download is incredible. This is what Ageia needed... well, if they were still independent that is. I think this is going to be good down the road.
Yes, it should be interesting with game developers, more or better special effects in games.A seperate card would take a load off of the GPU, but then you have to have a good link between the both of them.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
3DMark Vantage is confirmed to have graphics, AI processing test, and a physics test. Anyone think it might do anything beyond CPU based physics?

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
3DMark Vantage is confirmed to have graphics, AI processing test, and a physics test. Anyone think it might do anything beyond CPU based physics?
3DMARK is a well known benchtest for gamers...are there any more, I wonder