NVIDIA Announces GeForce GTX 470 & GTX 480

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
During a press conference today at PAX East, NVIDIA officially launched its first Fermi/GF100-based GeForce GTX 470 and GTX 480 graphics cards. We're still chugging away on our review, but are a bit behind due to some complications that arose during testing (which ironically have little to do with the GTX 480). For those who want to dive in and see what's new now, there are many options available to you.

nvidia_gtx_480_gtx_470_032610.jpg

You can read the rest of our post here.

x.clay

Obliviot
I have read a couple of the reviews (still need to read Nate's) and it sounds like you have come to the same conclusions as me. It is an extremely powerful product but I really struggle with the fact that the 480 has the performance a little above the 5870 but the power consumption of a 5970. You would have to invest in a really beefy PSU if you wanted to run a pair of these in SLI.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
electricity is soon going to be extinct in my country! prices r soring as hell and i really really am going to look at the power consumption very seriously!

Read the Nate's reviews and me am not impressed! :(

x.clay

Obliviot
personally I see this round as a draw. The 480 definately beats the 5870 and gives you some bonus features like 3d vision, cuda, and physX. But is comes at the costs of a LOT more power consumption and heat. If you would make use of the extras and don't mind the power issue since this is an enthusiast product you will probably go with the 480. If you don't care of cuda, PhysX, etc. you will probably go with the 5870. Personally I don't think I would pay an extra $100 for the 480 over the 5870.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
personally I see this round as a draw. The 480 definately beats the 5870 and gives you some bonus features like 3d vision, cuda, and physX. But is comes at the costs of a LOT more power consumption and heat. If you would make use of the extras and don't mind the power issue since this is an enthusiast product you will probably go with the 480. If you don't care of cuda, PhysX, etc. you will probably go with the 5870. Personally I don't think I would pay an extra $100 for the 480 over the 5870.

exactly what i was thinking! though i'm thinking bout the HD5850 or HD5830 now!

though i'm still waiting for the GTX470 reviews! the GTX460 might be good too!

BT!

Obliviot
lets just hope its popular enough to start a price war, would be nice to be able to afford a dx11 card within the next year.. lol. dont really care if it team red or green as long as its affordable.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
lets just hope its popular enough to start a price war, would be nice to be able to afford a dx11 card within the next year.. lol. dont really care if it team red or green as long as its affordable.

Can't see how this is going to cause a price war when ATI is in an excellent position to watch sales rise since this card is just not worth the extra dough for most users.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Just to give an update on our GTX 480 article...

I didn't manage to get everything done over the weekend, so I'm going to have to publish the article later in the day on Monday. The biggest reason for the delay is that I had to redo some of our GTX 480 testing to verify results and then also completely retest the HD 5870 using ATI's latest drivers, to be a bit more fair.

One thing I can say is that NVIDIA really has the crown where tessellation performance is concerned. As for the rest of my thoughts, you can all probably predict those before I even write them.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
As far as I am concerned the best should ALWAYS be saved for last so the world will be ready for the definitive review of these cards. Noone is more thorough than you Rob and as honest as well so I for one am itching to see your final thoughts!