Notebook woes!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
As I mentioned in a news post earlier, I experienced some notebook woes over the weekend and was forced to move the installed OS from my lowly HP dv2 netbook, over to a Gateway UC7807u that had been shoved in a closet over a year ago - due to it being "dead".

I am not sure if I have a curse or not, but where notebooks are concerned, I tend to have horrible luck. After having purchased the Gateway UC7807u, my sister and her husband borrowed it for about six months due to them not owning a computer (since remedied). I got it back "dead", though there was no physical damage at all. I had figured that the power supply might have just gone the way of the dodo, so I ordered a replacement online, and proceeded to never receive it due to Canada Post being utterly useless. I received an e-mail that stated that it was delivered, but it wasn't. They either left it near the door and it was stolen (unlikely), or they just didn't deliver it at all and acted like they did (highly likely).

Not wanting to take a second chance on ordering another, and for the sake of not wasting more cash on a notebook that could have been actually dead, I just decided to shelve it and use the HP dv2 netbook, since it was more than capable for what I needed it for (while at home, I use a notebook as a second monitor).

In the past couple of months, the dv2 began to get its own power problem. Sometimes Ubuntu would tell me that the battery was discharging, even while the power was plugged in. Oddly, sometimes it would matter the exact orientation I'd have the notebook in. Sometimes it'd charge, sometimes it wouldn't. In the end, the notebook got so bad that it seemed impossible to have it keep powered on, so I just gave up.

Remembering I had that UC7807u in the closet, and also another device kicking around here that I thought might well use the same or similar power adapter, I decided to check. Sure enough, the specs on the adapters was identical, and to my surprise, after plugging in the UC7807u again, it booted right up, no problems at all. As it turned out, it wasn't dead after all, and had the useless Canada Post actually delivered the original power adapter I ordered, I would have been able to continue using that notebook long ago.

So, the "dead" laptop I had came to life, and the alive one went... dead. I sure do have the best of luck with these things, but at least the better notebook of the two is back to working.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
death by alcohol poisoning ...

... my notebook that is.

The evening before US taxes were due this year (April 18th), I was celebrating the completion of said challenge with glass of wine. I had just e-filed & was waiting for confirmation from turbo-tax.

On pouring the 2nd glass of wine I unceremoniously knocked the entire glass onto the Toshiba notebook keyboard. Of course an immediate flury of activity to immediatly power down & removal power ensued. I turned the notebook face down hoping that all remaining fluid would somehow congeal on the underneath sides of the key caps.

The following morning was started with the much anticipated Turbo-tax/IRS acknowledgement of receipt of my e-file. EHHHHH!!! It was rejected.:eek::confused::(:mad: Sh!t. My taxes were on that notebook that had a drink of shirax the evening before.

Ok. No panic. Lets check it out.

Surprisingly it powered right up.:DUnfortunately a necessary key for my password to open it up would only repeat ... no single character and it was impossible to get the rest of the keys to edit cooperative to get the necessary key sequence. Uhhhh!!!!

Ahhh! But wait. I have a network & a computer need only be ready to be logged in to have access to it's drive from another machine. And, if I have anything, I have "other" machines. So I run over to the new build at the time (the 990X ... aka "sambuca") and yes, there is "gin" (the notebook's name). HA! The HDD is shared & there are my files! So I dash to the office to use my g/f's computer where she did her taxes. I drill into the network, find "gin", find the files, highlight them, click to drag/drop where I need them ... and then nothing.:confused::eek::(:mad:Then the "gin" disappeared from the network.:confused::mad:Run back to notebook and indeed is locked. Power button does nothing. Yes. "gin" is still on, but will not power down ... or nothing.:mad::mad:Crap, it only took about 4 weeks to do those blasted taxes. I pull the battery to kill the machine ... put back in. Nuttin'

Fine. Pull the HDD & plug it into the Thermaltake BlacX Duet external HDD external docking station ... similar device reviewed here. (That review is why I bought one.) YES! It works ... so back to where I was 10 gut wrenching, hair pulling minutes earlier ... files get copied, secret code gets entered to convince the IRS that they want my money, re-e-filed in about 2 minutes.;)

The Toshiba. "Gin". RIP. Putting the HDD back in ... still nothing. Cr@p. I have only had it about 4 months. What to replace with? Do I try to repair ... well of course, but it can no longer be considered a reliable device for my occasional road trips to customers. Stewing over this for a couple of days I decide to buy an identical notebook. I figure that in the least I'll have a spare battery, charger, & who knows what else of the course of the normal life of a notebook. Since the particular model was nearing it's marketing life I also got it for $150 less than the 1st purchase.

Moral. Yellow tail & notebooks do not play well. And, another reason not to drink & surf.

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Sorry to hear, Rob! Always left wondering when that happens to packages... especially when living in an apartment complex, and turns out the fedex person left the package with them and not at the door as stated... and the apartment office has no record of and can't find the package with expensive computer parts inside. Even after Fedex produces their signature.. :rolleyes:

Psi.... man, reading your post just made me groan! I've seen laptops get flooded, and it's really easy to save them. But powering it on a day later is the worst thing one can do without fully taking it apart to manually try it! :eek: If any sort of liquid gets into the caps and underneath chips soldiered onto the mainboard you can let it sit there for a week and it won't dry out. I once spilled a little bit of rubbing alcohol onto a motherboard, and although it was just a little bit of the stuff it all slide underneath the chipset. Those things are mounted on a BGA 1mm above the board itself.

Keep in mind this is alcohol... even a few hours later I came back and used an airgun to check it, and still some alcohol came out from underneath it. Just gotta use an airgun on the laptop mainboard on the area that got wet, then let the individual parts dry out. Then use an airgun again to check. And also make sure whatever's still in the keyboard doesn't have a chance to get into the machine after you do dry it out, seen people do that too.:rolleyes:

I've only had one laptop so far, the thing's absurdly outdated but it still chugs along. Yes it did get flooded out ONCE... had diet soda in the CPU socket, mosfets, caps, and main chipset. Didn't harm anything whatsoever after I dried and cleaned it fully, worked like a peach. Found a nifty trick for laptop fans too... once the fans start to screech, a little sewing machine oil fixes them right up. Been almost a year and the fan hasn't made noise once since I attempted it figuring I had nothing to lose... I assumed it'd last only three months at most, long enough to find a replacement. Instead it saved me from buying an overpriced replacement off ebay, completely. :D

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
As I mentioned in a news post earlier, I experienced some notebook woes over the weekend .

One of the most common causes of "failure" in notebooks is broken cords on the power adaptors. They get flexed, yanked, stepped on, and eventually they just give up the ghost... That's pretty much what you're describing...

BUT that doesn't mean you can't fix them.

The hard part is locating the break in the wire... to do this you need to watch the charging light in the notebook (or connect a small lamp or led to the power plug... I made a simple gizmo for just this purpose... an LED, a 4.7k resistor and a female barrel connector, 3 minutes work) move slowly along the wire flexing it gently in all directions with your fingers... when the light flickers, you've found the break...

If the break is as the plug, clip the wires and get a macthing plug from Radio Shack or an electronics supply store. Replacing the barrel plug is pretty simple. It's only 2 wires, two quick solder points and you're right back in business.

If the break is someplace along the wire, make two cuts about 3" either side of the break and splice the wires back together... a bit of heatshrink tubing, or good tape, two quick solder points... even easier than changing the plug.

The second cause of failure is dirt... yep, just plain old fashioned dirt. It gets into the female connector and you end up with a lousy connection. This one is a total no brainer fix... dip the plug in isopropal alcohol (rubbing alcohol) insert it into the female connector *while still wet* and rotate it like a volume control... dip spin, repeat... half a dozen times. Most often it fixes it right up.

It is exceedingly rare that laptop power supplies actually fail... even rarer that the charger circuits in a laptop will fail. It's almost always the plug and/or cord that gives you trouble.

Last edited:

Psi*

Tech Monkey
Maybe I should have set the notebook in a warm sunny place? Well, you learn from you mistakes! :(

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
I once spilled a little bit of rubbing alcohol onto a motherboard, and although it was just a little bit of the stuff it all slide underneath the chipset. Those things are mounted on a BGA 1mm above the board itself.

Actually this shouldn't have been much of a problem at all... Isopropolene is almost totally non-conductive. We used to spray it on components to cool them down, and on switches to clean them with power on, no problem.

Now if you were talking whiskey or wine... yep, there's enough impurity in there to make a total mess of everything at least until it dries totally out. Then of course there's the "sticky" factor... Ewww....

Psi*

Tech Monkey
Today, I decided to look into the 1st notebook that died of alcohol poisoning. After removing 20 screws that I didn't need to, I finally found the 4 that held it in. So much for getting information off the net! Anyway, this was the notebook that wine was spilled on. It stilled smelled like wine & was actually very tacky under the keyboard.

I figure that I will have spare parts for a very long time for these Toshiba Satellite notebooks. I found one site selling the plastic keyboard "springs"? that are under the key caps ... for a mere $5 each. I bought a replacement keyboard for $30.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
Actually you could have tried spraying the keyboard with contact cleaner (Isopropolene in a spray bomb) and letting it stand on it's edge to dry...

Seriusly, you'll be amazed how much stuff you can "rescue" that way...

Psi*

Tech Monkey
Actually you could have tried spraying the keyboard with contact cleaner (Isopropolene in a spray bomb) and letting it stand on it's edge to dry...

Seriusly, you'll be amazed how much stuff you can "rescue" that way...
A can of that stuff is in the mail. I figure the high class problem will be selling extra kyboards on ebay ... for ... $5? Maybe I will get active on some Toshiba forums.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
*I* am ultimate notebook wizard!!!

Ok. So I only finally replaced my 1st notebook keyboard (cost $30) with success:eek::eek:

Wine glass is now on a distant table:(:eek:

Moral. Do not drink & HDD

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Moral. Do not drink & HDD

Or SSD :D

Glad you got the keyboard back to working! I just rinsed mine out in the sink and baked it for five minutes to dry it out... scared the hell out of me when I saw how much it'd bent from the heat, but it went back to perfectly flat after it cooled down. :rolleyes:

gsouthee

Obliviot
Bad luck! I had only one issue and that is its toooooo hot in my area. Sweating makes my notebook look so ugly. Keys are getting two tones and palm rest getting two tones! I also noticed due to hot weather battery timings getting lower! Just purchased 3 month ago! HP Probook 4520s. I am thinking to buy a new one with much more solid built.