No more 3000+, 3200+

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
In what is turning into a graveyard of discontinued AMD processors, it has come to DailyTech's attention that a single-core Athlon 64 3000+ and 3200+ Socket 939 processors are getting the axe. AMD has just notified its distributors that it is terminating the Athlon 64 single-core Socket 939 3000+ and 3200+ components.

Not exactly a surprise, as Dual Cores are getting to be definite mainstream.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2966

madmat

Soup Nazi
Not only that but the higher number cores offer a higher profit margin. They've probably got the fab to the point where there's no need to bin to lower speeds so doing so is just cutting the bottom line a bit lower.

RazorBack

E.M.I.
Those chips were great overclockers from what I heard.. never had one though. I wish I'd saved my cash, bought a 3200+ and OCed it rather than buying this terrible 3800+ for ££££ :(

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Mine could do 2.7GHz on air.. so yeah I would consider them great overclockers. The Opteron equivelents did slightly better though.

leecho7

Partition Master
The Opteron is actually the upgrade processor I'm planning to get in a couple of months. Well, I'm thinking about it. My system is great for me now, so there really is no need for me to upgrade. I'd probably upgrade my graphics card first.

I'm still trying to figure out what is causing my overclock to freeze all the time... blagh.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Here's a updated list of EOL CPU's along with their EOL dates.

amdeol1wx.jpg

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/28/amdeol1wx.jpg

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I will have to pour out a little liquor for my 3700+ on July 2nd. I still love this chip.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I love this chip. Primarily because I am too cheap to get a better one but still....I understand the business in stopping making them. They will be missed, this Sandy is a great CPU.

Jag

Obliviot
Rob Williams said:
Mine could do 2.7GHz on air.. so yeah I would consider them great overclockers. The Opteron equivelents did slightly better though.

Same OC on my 3000 with stock air. They were beautiful.