Nintendo Posts First-Half Losses of $932 Million USD

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Nintendo was once a company that seemed to generate huge revenue regardless of what it did, but with its latest financial report showing a loss of $923 million USD for the first half of the company's fiscal year, it looks like things have begun to change. Nintendo cites the strong Yen and the lackluster response to its 3DS handheld as the biggest reasons for the decline.

nintendo_large_company_logo_102711.png

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

marfig

No ROM battery
The drop is immense. I'd say a complete disaster to Nintendo.

If you guys look carefully at the last two pages of the financial report, that reads like the worst nightmare to any company. Not one, not a single one, aspect of Nintendo business grew from last year. Nothing. Everything, software and hardware, for all systems saw a drop in sales. Some by more than 3 times.

Nintendo may rightly blame the 3DS lukewarm reception. But it is painfully obvious from that report that the company was depending on it -- and on nothing else -- to come up with a buck. How Nintendo allowed itself into this position, I don't know. How they could expect to turn an handheld device they knew had some serious hardware limitations into something that could cover the gigantic financial hole they no doubt were seeing coming, I don't know.

Still, one thing is for sure, The Japanese market is still their most impressive market (if we consider their local share). They still dominate it. Despite their sales drop also there, their share loss was nowhere near as pronounced as it was in the tough European and American markets. Japan market may be able to help the company sustain itself through another bad year... if it restructures itself.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Whoa, did anyone even forecast this as coming?? I knew they were getting pretty weak as of late, but that's a huge loss. And made all the more worrying given how strong Nintendo's performance has always been... it would be like Apple announcing a quarterly loss. It just never happened for Nintendo in so long this will certainly send a few shock waves through investors and get them to realize what's going on.

It's a fair point Brett made about those games. Ironically enough my best friend commented to me at the time he hadn't touched his own Nintendo console in he didn't know how long, he'd been pure xbox for all his media and netflix needs, with some gaming on the side. Not a promising future for the Wii-U