Nintendo Announces Wii Successor; Set to Launch in 2012

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
We posted about a rumor last week that Nintendo would be announcing the Wii successor in the "weeks" ahead, but thanks to the official announcement made this morning in Japan, there wasn't too much waiting involved at all. Though still sparse on details, Nintendo did verify that the console would be shown off during the E3 Expo in early June (7 - 9), which again isn't a very long time to wait.

nintendo_wii_large_news_logo.jpg

Read the rest of our news post and then discuss it here!

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I'm anxious to see what they announce hardware wise. With their unrivaled gaming teams, a capable, HD ready console will be welcome.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
There's no way they can release a non-HD capable console. It's just not going to happen!

Interesting that they chose 2012, that's sooner than Microsoft and Sony both want to release their next consoles. Nintendo may be able to seize big on this if their new console is on the shelf next to 360's and PS3's for two years.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Interesting that they chose 2012, that's sooner than Microsoft and Sony both want to release their next consoles.

I blame the fact that Nintendo released a circa 2002 console in 2005 - but one with motion. They need an update a lot more than Sony or Microsoft do.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I totally agree. But for such a risk it sure as hell paid off, they were the only console maker to not only avoid making a loss per console sold but made a profit on the actual console sales. And Microsoft launched the Xbox 360 the very same year, 2005...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I totally agree. But for such a risk it sure as hell paid off, they were the only console maker to not only avoid making a loss per console sold but made a profit on the actual console sales. And Microsoft launched the Xbox 360 the very same year, 2005...

Oh, I couldn't agree more. I'd do the same thing from a business perspective, but it still sucked nonetheless. 480p looked fine on regular TVs, but look horrible on HDTVs. It's one of the reasons I hardly ever used it. I don't mind poor graphics, but at least give me a resolution that's easy on the eyes and designed for the TV I'm using.