Nine SSD Drives In RAID 0 Benchmarked

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
This article comes as a coincidence... I was just contemplating what RAID0 would be like with SSD drives a few days ago, and here comes along an article that goes above and beyond the line of duty. The folks at Next Level Hardware didn't do the bare minimum and do RAID0 with two drives. No, they went all out and stacked together nine 16GB MTRON SSD drives together in RAID0 to see what kind of performance could be had.
How does a burst speed of 1,174MB/s and a 4GB file in four seconds sound?

The sad thing is that nine of these 16GB drives comes a bit short of an already small WD Raptor 150 which they used for testing, but the speed is simply incredible. Did I mention that nine of these drives will cost around $7,000? Yeah... I think I will wait for the prices to go down as well. This is a recommended read, though. Very in-depth and drool-worthy.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
battleship_mtron_121307.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
Today we are going to be comparing and scaling the Mtron 16GB Pro under Raid 0 on a pure hardware raid controller. During the entire review we will have an assortment of different drive types and controllers at our disposal, and we will come across bandwidth limitations that we never knew existed until today. I must say, this drive setup has definitely made my PC end-user experience incredible. One word currently popping into my head to describe it is: Ludicrous!

Source: Next Level Hardware

This is one ridiculous setup, but the speed is incredible. It's also quite something that all nine drives at idle, use only half the power of the WD 150. Whether or not density has a part to play with that, I'm unsure. Still, impressive (and expensive) showing.