NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams Receives Underwhelming Reviews

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
I'll make one thing clear... I might be a Sega fanboy. I've loved Sega's consoles from the Master System to the Dreamcast (likely my favorite console), but I have to wonder why they are screwing up their most popular franchises. They killed off the Dreamcast to shift to game development, which was a sad day. But we looked at the upside - more time and resources to create some killer titles!

Luckily that's been the case for the most part, but not with some of their classics. Take Sonic the Hedgehog, released last year, for example. This was a game I was stoked for, until I saw the barrage of poor ratings the game was receiving. After playing the non-impressive demo, this was one of the few Sonic games I actually ignored (namely due to stressful camera angles). How could Sega release such a poor game?

Well as it now seems, after Sonic The Hedgehog, Sega had plans to throw NiGHTS onto the guillotine, because now, NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams is also receiving lackluster response from the media. Sega, WHY? This game should have been a masterpiece. I still have the original JAP import sitting on the shelf and try to play it from time to time, and it seems that's what I will be sticking to.

I can't lie and say I won't pick up the latest game anyway, but I'd still much rather see Sega put some serious effort into their game development, especially when it comes to the true classics. Sega Rally shouldn't receive better universal praise than NiGHTS! Oh well, we can hope the sequel will be better. If there is one.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
nights_journey_122107.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
So after waiting over a decade for a new Nights experience, what's the final verdict? Personally, we'd rather have seen this one stay a nostalgic piece of gaming history, as Journey of Dreams isn't exactly the spectacular homecoming we were hoping for as huge fans of the original Saturn classic.

Source: IGN Wii

Sega... should release the original NiGHTS for some next-gen console and just upgrade the graphics - but leave everything else in tact. Oh, and while they are at it, they could also do the same for Sonic Adventure.