New Safari Tabs!

MacMan

Partition Master
As far as Rob lamenting Safari's lacking a "new tab button", I believe, if the Window version is like the Mac version, it's not really needed. Instead of clicking on a new tab icon, with Safari (Mac anyway), all you have to do is go to the preferences and set it up that so that all you have to do is " RIGHT CLICK" on the menu bar, this gives you the choice of adding either a new tab or a new folder - I love how this works!

At least with the Mac, so far, I have never, ever missed having a new tab button, as the menu right clicking seems to be more natural and much more convenient to me, but that just might be because I'm use to it? I'm using XP at the moment, so maybe I will try Safari for Windows later today? In the meantime, it's the incredible speed of Safari that is why I rarely use Firefox anymore, though on occasion, it's nice to do so. If only Shiira or Omniweb were as fast as Safari, I'd be a happy camper.

"

Last edited:

MacMan

Partition Master
Whoops... silly me!

Whoops... silly me; I forgot the Windows version is not quite as good as, or as secure, as the Mac version. Is it the browser, or is it the platform on which it runs? Beats me; the Mac version is fine and dandy, but then again, I forget, both Linux and Unix systems, such as OS X, are not Windows!

Thanks for the link; I saw it posted elsewhere, but was I too lazy to read it until now, since I never had much of a problem with the Mac version.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
In Opera you can click a button for a new tab, or double-click anywhere on the tab area, or hold down the shift key while clicking a link. CTRL+shift will even open the tab silently in the background.

Opera works on Mac OS X, Windows, whatever... I'll give credit to Safari that Safari and Opera are the only browsers to have reached 100% in the Acid3 though.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
MacMan, if you want to make yourself believe that right-clicking and then adding a tab is easier than just clicking an add tab button, you are fooling yourself.

I have an add tab button directly to the left of my quick bookmarks pane, and also have the ability to double-click anywhere in the tabbed pane to open up a fresh tab immediately. Adding a right-click action to the mix isn't better, in any way. Simple > Complex*

*says a Gentoo user.