New Monitor DOA

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
So, my Dell 2407WFP finally went a week back. Main cap was leaking slightly out the bottom, which apparently after it reaches a certain point will blow out a voltage IC chip and damage stuff all across the power supply board. Was pretty spectacular and caused my UPS to power cycle everything connected to it. Didn't find all this out until after the fact when I was talking with a guy that repairs Dell monitors as a hobby.

After some hard shopping I went with a new HP zr2740w, a good 27" S-IPS panel that's a step up from my S-PVA 2407. Thing arrived today, plugged it in, it powered up.... and nothing would display on the screen. :mad: Backlight works, but no picture. This monitor has no OSD, so I tested it with a DVI-D and Displayport cables on two different PCs, same story.

Anyone else receive "defective on arrival" monitors before, out of curiosity? I'm sort of surprised this happened. It's a high quality display that was built 3 weeks ago, but I guess they don't do more than power them on at the factory floor? At least HP's business customer service line isn't too bad... (it's a "business" display so it has to go to the business help line, amusingly enough)