New iPods Require iTunes, Breaks Linux Support

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Planning to pick up a new iPod Nano/Classic/touch? You might want to re-think that purchase if you are a Linux user, as the latest models break support with all of the popular iPod synching applications. This was done due to changes in the iTunesDB, which likely means that it can be reverse engineered, just as previous updates have been. Did Apple do this on purpose or was this an actual feature update? Good question.

I have been throwing the idea of purchasing an iPod touch later this month, but this news definitely sideswiped it since I use Linux full-time. Is Apple trying to force people to their OS? If so, breaking iPod support is not likely going to do it. If people are willing to make an OS switch because of a music player, then kudos to them. I think it's about time that Apple realizes that Linux is going nowhere and begins supporting iTunes under the OS, or even better, stops breaking support for other applications in general.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
ipod_touch_official_image.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table>
At the very start of the database, a couple of what appear to be SHA1 hashes have been inserted which appear to lock the iTunes database to one particular iPod and prevent any modification of the database file. If you try to do either of these, the hashes will not match and the iPod will report that it contains "0 songs" when the iTunesDB would otherwise be perfectly adequate.

Source: iPodMinusiTunes Blog

Why in the world would Apple break support for other media players? I just don't get it. Sure they want to push iTunes, I understand that completely. But it's not as though Apple still doesn't make money off of these people. First, they make a huge profit off the iPod alone... even if iTunes is never used. So why break support? Especially with Linux, since that's an entire market that will potentially never purchase their product.

Foolish. Just bring iTunes to Linux Apple. If Google can do it with their ridiculously system-intensive Picasa (not to mention Google Earth), surely you can do it with iTunes.