Netscape Founder Backs New Web Browser, "RockMelt"

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
When the Internet first launched, Netscape was there. In fact, believe it or not, Netscape Navigator existed before Microsoft's own Internet Explorer. Thanks to that, Netscape enjoyed an incredible market share up until Microsoft's browser, and for the most part, they continued to see a huge user base for years into Windows XP's life, which was around a time when more options were becoming available to consumers.

About thirteen years after the launch of its initial browser, Netscape decided to call it quits, with the final version being 9.0.0.6. Since then, we've continued to see all of the other browsers flourish, with Mozilla's Firefox really on track to become the dominant browser, and Google's Chrome and Apple's Safari beginning to make some headway. So the big question... do we need another? Or should we be pleased with what we have?

Well, according to the founder of Netscape, Marc Andreessen, there's always room for one more browser, as long as it's done right. Marc believes that there is something wrong with all current browsers... none of them were built from the ground up. Firefox, for example, continues to get updates, but it's essentially all done with patches. There might be a major version upgrade, but the back-end will change little, and it certainly won't be entirely re-written to keep up with the times.

It's with this idea that urged him to back a new browser company called RockMelt. He already has a lot of experience with creating a browser from the ground up, and with the experience he's gained since Netscape's beginnings, he no doubt has a clear idea of what needs to be done. Given that browsers like Google Chrome entered the game late and are still enjoying nice growth, I'm not going to be too quick to discredit any new entrant, especially with what seems to have good goals behind it. I can't seem to be satisfied with any web browser lately, so I say bring it on.

rockmelt_webbrowser_081709.png

Mr. Andreessen’s backing is certain to make RockMelt the focus of intense attention. For now, the company is keeping a lid on its plans. On the company’s Web site, the corporate name and the words “coming soon” are topped by a logo of the earth, with cracks exposing what seems to be molten lava from the planet’s core. A privacy policy on the site, which was removed after a reporter made inquiries to Mr. Vishria, indicates the browser is intended to be coupled somehow with Facebook. Mr. Andreessen serves as a director of Facebook.

Source: The New York Times

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
Well, according to the founder of Netscape, Marc Andreessen, there's always room for one more browser, as long as it's done right.

There it is... there's always room for more as long as it's done right.

Get it right guys and I'll be there.... But I would think about a better name than "Rock Melt" before getting too far into this... How about "World View" or something more uplifting?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
There it is... there's always room for more as long as it's done right.

Get it right guys and I'll be there.... But I would think about a better name than "Rock Melt" before getting too far into this... How about "World View" or something more uplifting?

I agree on both points. "RockMelt" just doesn't grab me as a software name at all. "Firefox" doesn't sound like the name of a web-browser, either, but at least it rolls right off the tongue.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
It'll be interesting to see where this one goes... the only thing I'll mention is that rebuilding a browser "from the ground up" repeatedly as a means to update it sounds like a sure-fire way to break compatibility, not to mention a good deal of additional overhead.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
It'll be interesting to see where this one goes... the only thing I'll mention is that rebuilding a browser "from the ground up" repeatedly as a means to update it sounds like a sure-fire way to break compatibility, not to mention a good deal of additional overhead.

:) ... Lets see, what's that old fable about reinventing the wheel??

I agree, ground up starts on complex software are no fun at all.