NeroLinux 3 Updated to 3.5, Receives Command-Line & Eee PC Support

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
It's closing in on a year since NeroLinux 3 was first released, and somehow, a "major" update has passed without me noticing. At CeBit in March, Nero launched 3.0.5.1 of the application, bringing a few new features and bug fixes along. One of the biggest new features is a command-line interface, which I'm sure will get about as much use as the HD DVD burning feature.

I kid, of course. Also new is direct audio ripping to MP4, encoded with the AAC codec. That's fine and good, but I'd still love to see tweaking-abilities for each codec and also a secure ripping mode, though. Another great feature is support for new sub-notebooks, including the Eee PC. When a small resolution is detected, the application will scale itself appropriately.

Though it's a paid program ($20), I love NeroLinux and recommend it to anyone, especially if you are coming from a Windows environment and want a familiar face. Many people will debate the cost though, and for good reason since k3b handles everything just as well. I prefer the GUI in NeroLinux though, and it also feels more stable. While Nero spits out great burns, k3b has for some reason been erroring out on every one lately. Probably a simple issue to resolve, but troubleshooting is not so much fun.

You can check out a trial version of NeroLinux 3 here and read my review from last spring here.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>
Nero, leaders in digital media technology, have announced that they will be releasing Nero Linux 3.5, the latest update of the definitive burning solution for the Linux operating system, allowing users to access content on a variety of platforms. Nero Linux 3.5 further extends Nero's technology expertise with a new command line client that lets users engage the powerful engine through scripts and third-party applications.

Source: NeroLinux 3 Site

slugbug

Coastermaker
Installed it last night but haven't tried burning a cd yet. I only installed Ubuntu 8.04 last week and am still learning the ropes.

slugbug

Coastermaker
Well I am having a minor problem with my mouse scroll wheel not working after switching my KVM to my Windows box and then back to Ubuntu. It works when I start up, just not after switching the KVM.

Also I was trying to use Synaptic Package Manager to install Hellanzb. It said it installed ok but I don't see the program installed anywhere. It's not displayed in my applications or in add/remove.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
When the mouse scroll wheel stops working, did you try just re-plugging it in? That should reinitialize everything. I could be wrong though, since I've never been in that situation. Logging in and out might help also, though not desired.

I have no sweet clue what Hellanzb is, but opening up a command-line and typing that out might open up the application. Or you could run "locate hellanzb" and see if it's located under /usr/bin/ or somewhere similar. What's the program supposed to do?

slugbug

Coastermaker
When the mouse scroll wheel stops working, did you try just re-plugging it in? That should reinitialize everything. I could be wrong though, since I've never been in that situation. Logging in and out might help also, though not desired.

I have no sweet clue what Hellanzb is, but opening up a command-line and typing that out might open up the application. Or you could run "locate hellanzb" and see if it's located under /usr/bin/ or somewhere similar. What's the program supposed to do?

hellanzb is a usenet downloading application. Found it in usr/bin but still can't figure out how to open it :( Files have a python .py file extension...OMG I'm a total linux noob :)

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You should be able to just open it with:
./hellanzb.py
Python will need to be installed though, so if you get an error saying that it doesn't know what to do, then try an 'sudo apt-get install python'.

slugbug

Coastermaker
Unplugging the mouse and reconnecting it has no effect at all, still no scroll wheel. As you said, logging off and back on may help but I haven't tried that yet. As for the hellnzb newsgroup app, its command line only and I would really prefer a GUI version if I can find one.