Neo Geo X Handheld Gets Official

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Weeks ago, an image floated around the Internet of a rumored handheld device, a la Nintendo DS or PSP Vita, that would give mobile gamers access to the best games ever to hit the old Neo Geo AES console. Yes, we're talking Metal Slug, Fatal Fury and of course, The King of Fighters. Well, while it seemed unlikely that any company would release a handheld focusing on a specific console's games, it is in fact real. And I'm excited.

neo_geo_x_handheld_031512.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Not a single person aside from me is stoked about this thing? You all must be the most devout PC gamers I've ever seen :D

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Maybe because the last handheld game player I held was the original gameboy has something to do with it, but nah. Not remotely interested in this, nor the PSV, nor the 3D GBA. I think people's smartphones have pretty much won the "I need to kill 10 minutes waiting on X" users market. Or tablets. Or e-readers.

This isn't 2000 where the only options to cart around were a paperback book, a dumb-phone, and a grey-scale gameboy. :D Between a smartphone and Kindle Touch I'd be set these days. :)

Brett Thomas

Senior Editor
Gotta say, even my wonderful, beautiful Ninty DS has fallen out of favor with the latest iPhone stuff...I'm very much in Koug's boat here. I mean, it's ok, but if I want handheld gaming, it's not very useful to me if I have to tote around yet another device already.

There are very few games out for handheld systems anymore that I look at as so good that I would set down the games available on my phone, and that's a crucial metric. It used to be that phone/pda games were crappy, so if you wanted to game, you had a portable device meant FOR gaming (psp, Ninty DS, etc). Now, the AppStore and Android Market have pretty much crushed that - the phones are as powerful as the game systems and I already have to upgrade that more frequently anyhow.

Every since Final Fantasy Tactics showed up in the App Store, my DS has collected dust. :( It's not that there aren't great games, and many only for the DS - but there are also great games on the iPhone and the DS involves carrying a whole extra pocketful of crap with me. So the games have to be REALLY great. The iPhone games keep getting better, the DS ones keep getting worse...so....yeah. :(