Need advice on speaker set

dotslasher

Obliviot
I got an old cambridge soundworks 2.1 speaker set and i'm going to buy myself a new pc and get me some new speakers with it.

Now I wanted to know which speakers I should get. I'm planning on using them mainly for gaming and also a bit of movie watching and mp3 listening ;)

I looked into getting the Logitech Z-5400 set but my room aint really that big (5*6m) and people's opinion on this set are divided. Some say they are the best speakers they ever had others say they are complete rubbish. (bad bass and "plopping" issues).

I'm also considering getting some high end 2.1 speakers (maybe some altec lansings?)

Altec Lansing FX4021
Altec Lansing FX6021
Altec Lansing MX-5021
Altec Lansing CS21

But those Altec lansing sets tend to have serious "humming" issues. I dont know if they are fixed yet though.

Or maybe the Logitech Z-2300

As you can see I cant really decide :D

Last edited:

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=15339&vpn=EDIFIER-S2.1D&manufacture=EDIFIER&promoid=1006

The only "better" set are the Klipsch Promedia evne though the Edifiers sound better . The Klipsch go louder. The Logitech Z2300's will very much dissapoint you. The Logitech Z5500's are probably the best 5.1's for the $$$. Everyone complained about the Logitech Z-680's and I love mine to death. In fact, I built an entire media room around them and a nice HTPC I put together. If you can find a good used set of Z-680's I would recommend them over the Z-5500's.

g-sixty

Obliviot
I find the Teufel concept G to be nice for surround and the concept C for 2.1.
I also like the logitech Z5500. If you really want something nice, wait for the Razer Mako

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
If you can find a place that still has the Altec Lansing MX5021, I'd actually go with those if you don't want to wait for the Razer Mako, and if you can find a place that still has the MX5021 in stock. From what listening I've done to the MX5021, it's an extremely competent system, and the subwoofer is also great. They're THX-certified, too, which means that you won't have to worry that they'll deliver reasonably flat frequency response, and low distortion at higher volume levels (among other things that THX tests for). Discontinuing the MX5021 was an extremely bad move for Altec, in my opinion, because even though the FX6021/PT6021 speakers perform well, they can't top the sheer muscle and crankability of the MX5021. As much as Razer seems to be promising with the Mako speakers, they remain an unknown quantity until we at Techgage get our hot hands on them for a review.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm also interested in getting a speaker set. The gaming PC uses headphones primarily, but I'd like to get a pair of speakers for the sake of others being able to hear what's going on.

Is there anything in the $100 range that would do well? I don't want to spend much more than that simply because I live in an apartment and neighbors wouldn't appreciate the sound as much as I would.

b1lk1, do you own the Edifier you mentioned? They are ugly as hell, but I'd consider them if they are kickass.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
They are on the way to me and should be here tomorrow or Wed the latest. The main reason I went for them is the digital input and the impressive specs for the $$$. I needed something around $100 since my Z-680's went into my media room and the price of these is amazing. I also got free shipping since I had the NCIX points so I paid $79.49 with taxes shipped to me. I will be sure to make a thread with my results for you.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Got them today. One word. INCREDIBLE!!!! They have lower and cleaner bass and the mids are seperate from the highs. They even came with a very high end Optical cable that is not listed in the description. THe Z-680's can go louder on absolute high, but these are very loud and clear as a bell. No way anything else in the price class can come close. I can't wait to put my Sondigo Inferno in this PC. That will be the icing on the cake. Definitely a 10/10 for me.

On a side note, the satellites are not as big as they seem and the sub is much bigger than it looks.

EDIT: I really should add I am using an Audigy SE with the digital I/O adapter for my sound output and I am still blown away......

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Thanks for the update b1lk1, I will be considering those ones. The price is right, and given the lack of room around here it looks as though they'd fit nice. I might order up a pair today.

dotslasher

Obliviot
thanks for the info guys. I guess i'll wait for the Razer Mako and see what they're like.

The MX5021 looks/sounds great (i've listened to them at a friends house). i'm considering them. (thanks Taterworks)

Last edited:

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
Keep in mind that you may not be able to find the MX5051 anywhere but eBay at this point, seeing as how it's a discontinued model. They're still an excellent performer, and good-sounding.

dotslasher

Obliviot
anyone know when the Razer Mako set will be released?

Also the rumours for the price are around $349, is this correct? (if it is then that's just insane for a 2.1 set imo)

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
No doubt, $349 is a lot, and this will set the Mako system out of most casual listeners' budgets. I make these comments having not heard the system yet (since we haven't received our review sample), but since THX was involved not only in the testing and certification, but also the acoustic and electronic design, we're virtually assured that the Mako will produce some spectacular sound. Everything I've read from people who experienced the Razer Mako first-hand at CES and CeBIT has been overwhelmingly positive, so I don't imagine we'll be disappointed with what Razer brings to the table.

I've come to a conclusion recently, which is that consumers in general simply don't value the intangible element of products. I'm talking about things like the engineering skill and time that each product requires, as well as other elements like exterior styling and synergistic high performance. It seems like consumers look at products simply based on their material cost -- that is, how much plastic, steel, paper, copper, etc. goes into a particular product, when in reality a product represents far more than the materials involved. This is especially true in the audio industry -- a speaker system like the Mako may only have $25 worth of speaker drivers inside it. However, there's an incredible amount of engineering, designing, and tuning that goes into producing a great finished result, and it's that level of engineering that sets a high-end product apart from the rest. If the Razer Mako speakers deliver incredible sound, then for the high-end consumer, the speakers' high price will be justified. And as for the rest, they simply "don't get it" -- that is, they don't have the appreciation for the types of esoteric quality offered by the high-end product sector, and will likely be just as satisfied by a more mainstream product. Razer's business is the high-end peripheral business, so I'm not surprised that's where they've decided to aim with their audio products as well. We'll simply have to 'pay to play', or settle for less-inspiring products (again, said before actually hearing the Mako, so this isn't a definitive distinction yet) from companies like Logitech and Altec-Lansing.

Last edited: