Motorola Docsis 3 modem

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Nice! I'd love to learn the price of this, and also see some real-world tests. Get on that, Merlin!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
There's a lot of questions to be raised here, because that kind of gain for most people seems a little unrealistic. You work at an ISP... is your connection better than the norm? Is this a result that people could typically see? Is this burst rate, or sustained?

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Hmmmm Prices are 50 mbps download 99.00 a month
But 22 mbps down is 49.00, I guess thats about right

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
There's a lot of questions to be raised here, because that kind of gain for most people seems a little unrealistic. You work at an ISP... is your connection better than the norm? Is this a result that people could typically see? Is this burst rate, or sustained?
I'll download a large file and see, I just installed about 20 min ago

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Downloaded a 647 mb file in 3 min 14 sec, from an LA server, must be the distance or the server upload speed.
That's what I'm going to run into now, the ability of the server that I'm connecting to

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Here's another option:

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/870/mirrors.php

Direct URL: techPowerUp! US-4

Here's our speed behind a 100Mbit/s connection.

pcmarkvantage_download_100mbits.png

That 700MB file took 74s to download.

After seeing your result there though, I can't see your download not going just as fast as ours, and that's insane. I don't think the ISPs will be too pleased with this. Also, that Speedtest.net result is wrong... it's not Mb/s, but Mbit/s.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Here's another option:

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/870/mirrors.php

Direct URL: techPowerUp! US-4

Here's our speed behind a 100Mbit/s connection.

That 700MB file took 74s to download.

After seeing your result there though, I can't see your download not going just as fast as ours, and that's insane. I don't think the ISPs will be too pleased with this. Also, that Speedtest.net result is wrong... it's not Mb/s, but Mbit/s.
LOL....a little longer for me ... It took 3 min 24 sec
Wow 74 seconds is insane :D

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm not positive, but it seems like you're still being capped, just not in short bursts like with services such as Speedtest.net. Both of your downloads hovered around 3.5MB/s... our true 100Mbit/s connection did 9 - 11MB/s.

Either way, I'm jealous of your Internet. I'm still dealing with 10 Mbit/s.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I'm not positive, but it seems like you're still being capped, just not in short bursts like with services such as Speedtest.net. Both of your downloads hovered around 3.5MB/s... our true 100Mbit/s connection did 9 - 11MB/s.

Yes, a cap may be still there, I was told the speeds will get better in a few days, the modem has to have some time to set in. ( dunno why )
But it was the same deal when I went from 6 mb dn to 8 mb dn on the docsis 1.0 modem.
I'll check again in a few days

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
TWC doesn't even use DOCSIS 3.0 capable hardware yet, but that is exactly how their caps work. I'm sure Comcast does the same thing.

Their Roadrunner Turbo service gives you (for example) a 10Mb/s connection, but files below 100MB in size will transfer at 15Mb/s. Speedtest will show you have a 15Mbit/s connection, but really it's capped at 10Mbit/s.

TWC recently increased their line rates but haven't updated their info to indicate what exactly the cap is now at, I think it's 15/25 Mbit download, 2Mbit/s upload but I'm not entirely sure because it keeps chaging. I just did another test and the results are even more strange than the last.

491079746.png

I tried downloading that file, it started at 2,200Kbit/s then dropped to almost exactly 1,800 for the rest of the transfer. At least until the power surged and everything but the computer died. :) Total transfer time was six minutes though next time around...

Roadrunner also says the same thing about the rates taking time to "set in" with the modem, I presume it has more to do with them getting their entire infrastructure updated and up to the new speeds, as well as the modem needing to power cycle once for the changes to take effect.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard

There is a cap, but there are now three streams, so the cap is multipled by three instead of one.
Most of the speed increases come from the fact that the upstream and downstream channels can now be bonded. For example, you can bind three downstream channels @ 38 mbps (at QAM256) for a total of about 114 mbps and three upstream channels @ 10 mbps (assuming QAM16) 30 mbps of upstream capacity. If you are on a 2.0 modem, you will theoretically get better performance as while you can't take advantage of the bonding (only the 3.0 modems can do that) each individual link should be utilized less but that is going to depend on just how heavily used your particular node is. You DO share the bandwidth not being fully used in the node, The Node is where the signal goes from optical to RF, which is usually only a few blocks away serving a certain number of subscribers. If you are the ( lucky one ) on the Node, then you get all the bandwidth.
Actually, I heven't seen the cap, the downloads are consistantly steady...... So Far, So Good