Motherboard Question and Boot Problem

HgCn

Obliviot
Quick question about my motherboard before I start on my problem. I just built a system based around a EVGA 780i using the Wolfdale E8400. Included with the motherboard was a little fan, smaller than a case fan probably....and I can't find ANYTHING in the documentation about wtf it is or where it is supposed to go....any insights? If I had to guess it's probably 60mm, maybe less, just a guess.

The bigger issue....is that I just built this new machine and I was expecting it to be pretty speedy (below are the specs). But I'm getting like 60-80 second boot times, and little catches everyonce in a while in performance. I downloaded a bootleg version of XP, that was already activated....is there a chance that is slowing things down? Any other ideas on why the boot times are so high?

EVGA 780i
Wolfdale E8400 3.0ghz
Zalman 9700LED CPU Fan
2gb G.Skill 800
EVGA 8800GTS (G92)
Samsung 3.0/sec SATA 250gb HD
Using Artic Silver

Any help is always appreciated, thanks,

-J

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
The fan is more than likely for the NB to help keep it cool as they run really warm from what I understand.

As for the other question, the open forums isn't really the place to talk about bootleg/pirated software, you can get yourself and maybe the forums in some trouble that way.

THUMPer

Coastermaker
well you cant just slap a system together without some BIOS modifications. You sure your RAM is running at the right speeds/ Latency?
There are many options in the BIOS. I wish I could help more but I have not seen the BIOS on that board.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
As for the other question, the open forums isn't really the place to talk about bootleg/pirated software, you can get yourself and maybe the forums in some trouble that way.

Not to be a boner about things but sbrehm is right. This is not the place to discuss illegal software. The slow performance of your computer might be in your head. Your not going to get instant on performance from any PC and the times you are reporting aren't all that bad.

As for your fan issue however, look here:

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTIwMDU0ODQ4OUM0bVNCVFd6TnRfMV85X2wuanBn

Hard did a good job of showing how to mount that little bugger.

My suggestion to you is to attach that fan if your NB temperatures get above a reasonable level and without a doubt, get your self a legit OS.

HgCn

Obliviot
Interesting....thanks for the help on the fan, makes sense but I don't think it will fit with my Zalman (the thing is HUGE). I'll try it.

As for piracy, if you must know, I'm just using it until my OEM XP CD arrives, so calm down it is technically a "backup" at this point.

:)

I'll mess with bios settings when I get home, and try a reformat.

Thanks again

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I wasn't judging you, just recommending that you not make everyone in the world privy to your choice of software ;)

You might try rotating that Zalman HSF around 90 degrees. What chassis do you have? I have that same cooler and depending on your case, you can rotate it to free up a bit of room for that NB fan if you must have it. You could even forgo the included fan, rotate your Zalman to blow downwards which would move air across the NB heatsink as well.

HgCn

Obliviot
I have a coolermaster Centurion 5 mid atx

um

It might fit....I guess my real question is how NECESSARY is it?

-J

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Temps and Zalamn array

Quick question about my motherboard before I start on my problem. I just built a system based around a EVGA 780i using the Wolfdale E8400. Included with the motherboard was a little fan, smaller than a case fan probably....and I can't find ANYTHING in the documentation about wtf it is or where it is supposed to go....any insights? If I had to guess it's probably 60mm, maybe less, just a guess.

The bigger issue....is that I just built this new machine and I was expecting it to be pretty speedy (below are the specs). But I'm getting like 60-80 second boot times, and little catches everyonce in a while in performance. I downloaded a bootleg version of XP, that was already activated....is there a chance that is slowing things down? Any other ideas on why the boot times are so high?
Any help is always appreciated, thanks,

-J

Look at my build below.
Using EVGA 780i mobo
E8400 CPU
Zalman 9700 LED

You have plenty of room....noting the fan is blowing out the back ( well the camera froze the fan stationary ) but it was running.....and the temps run at 29C
The little fan is just below on the Northbridge, below the Zalman cooler

Merlin

EVGA 780i
Wolfdale E8400 3.0ghz
Zalman 9700LED CPU Fan
2gb G.Skill 800
EVGA 8800GTS (G92)
Samsung 3.0/sec SATA 250gb HD
Using Artic Silver

Last edited: