Modern Warfare 2 Filled with Controversy

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Today is a big day. The follow-up to Modern Warfare (Call of Duty 4) is now available on the PC (the game has been available for consoles for the past couple of days), and I can't wait to dive right in. As mentioned the other day in our news, developer Infinity Ward is giving PC gamers numerous reasons to shun this platform-specific version, so it will be interesting to see if that will affect sales or not. With this latest release, though, there's a lot more controversy surrounding the game than meets the eye.

As I couldn't wait to take a quick look at the game, the pre-load status on Steam was dropped at around midnight last night, so I loaded it up. The first thing I saw was quite unique... "Disturbing Content Notice". Sure, MW2 is rated M, like the vast majority of other PC FPS titles, but this was the first time I recall ever being greeted with such a warning. It goes onto say, "Some players may find one of the missions disturbing or offensive." Interesting.

The more interesting point might be the fact that the game actually allows you to skip over that mission in its entirety, with no penalties towards your normal progression. After digging up some information, it appears that the controversial mission happens earlier on in the game, and has the player take control of a CIA agent who goes undercover to work alongside terrorists. That's not the problem... the problem is that there's player-controlled killing of civilians involved - a first for the series.

Is Infinity Ward deliberately pushing the envelope, or is there a reason for such a mission to exist? I plan to begin the single-player campaign later this evening, so it shouldn't be too long before I find that out, especially as the game has only a predicted 7 hour single-player campaign. Slightly off-topic, Modern Warfare 2 will likely replace World at War in our GPU reviews very shortly. Both games are based on similar engines, but MW2 has some updates, and is brand-spanking-new, so it makes sense to include.

The most-anticipated game of the year and the sequel to the best-selling first-person action game of all time, Modern Warfare 2 continues the gripping and heart-racing action as players face off against a new threat dedicated to bringing the world to the brink of collapse. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 features for the first time in video games, the musical soundtrack of legendary Academy Award, Golden Globe Award, Grammy Award and Tony winning composer Hans Zimmer.

Source: Modern Warfare 2 on Steam (Official site is down.)​

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
the first COD was kinda weird taking the war into Saudi Arabia....

i hope the: "Some players may find one of the missions disturbing or offensive." is not of the same sorts! hah!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
There is indeed a lot of controversial missions in the entire CoD series, but the reason this one stands out is because it's player-controlled killing of innocent people that's involved. The interesting thing is that after playing the mission, I believe it doesn't even have to be in there. Yes, from a story perspective it does, but it doesn't have to be player-controlled... it could have been just a cut-scene.

What's nice, though, is that you don't have to kill the civilians at all. Rather, you just walk through the level along the NPCs that do. The only killing you have to do is after the massacre, against security. That's a lot easier to deal with...

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
COD:MW2 is cool! played through the whole ACT I and half of ACT II in one go!!

Man that killing civi mission made me feel really hurt! :(
but u be right...just take care of the security personnel!

really nice!

it lagged a bit on my 9600GT though....... i hope Nvidia release the GT300s already! gotta upgrade!

it was like playing World in Conflict in First Person Mode with Srgt. Remirez!!

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I agree on the civilian killing... that mission was surprisingly difficult to watch. I went into it thinking, "Meh, whatever", but seeing it is something else, that's for sure.

I completed the game about an hour ago, and I gotta say, it's short, but very sweet. It took me 7.5 hours to complete, and I believe that includes all the times I've died (which was fairly often). I found a couple of missions boring or overly difficult (not to mention ultra-tedious), but the exciting and breath-taking missions and situations made up for them. I can't wait to put the pen to the paper and write up a review for this. You can also expect some performance data to be found there also.

One thing I found a little interesting though, is that overall, my average FPS in any level is much higher than what we saw with World at War. So, I'm led to believe that, despite coming out a year later, World at War is slightly more intensive... or... Modern Warfare 2's graphics don't equal up. It could also be due to the fact that Modern Warfare 2 is simply more optimized. Since it is based on a newer engine than World at War was, I'll just assume that's the case, because overall, MW2 is hardly lacking in the graphics department (except in certain places).

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
it seems short....i completed ACT 1 and half of ACT II within 3 hrs.....there is also another option besides multiplayer.... may be that'll be fun too!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Looking at game completion from the Act standpoint is a little misleading, because while Act I has 5 missions or so, Act II has 7 I believe, and Act III has 8. So, all of Act III takes almost as much time as it does to go through Act I and Act II, <em>almost</em>.

As for Special Ops, it's decent, but best done with a friend. Some of the missions there on Veteran difficulty are intense!

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Looking at game completion from the Act standpoint is a little misleading, because while Act I has 5 missions or so, Act II has 7 I believe, and Act III has 8. So, all of Act III takes almost as much time as it does to go through Act I and Act II, almost.
Oh, that be nice!

Ah well, i started playing Dragon Age: Origins at my cousins house and it has completely taken my mind off COD MW2...for now......lol!

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Why is it that i feel bad inside when i do something Eevil in an RPG? am i taking games too seriously?!<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
Why is it that i feel bad inside when i do something Eevil in an RPG? am i taking games too seriously?!<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Orrrrr.... maybe you're demonstrating morality, a sense of right and wrong, that is sorely missing in kids of today's generation.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Orrrrr.... maybe you're demonstrating morality, a sense of right and wrong, that is sorely missing in kids of today's generation.
thats true, but the thing bout it being a game, and not reality and still when i make a bad choice i feel bad, its weird, like, erm, like its an extension of me, inside the game! lol!:D
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
thats true, but the thing bout it being a game, and not reality and still when i make a bad choice i feel bad, its weird, like, erm, like its an extension of me, inside the game! lol!:D

I'd say that's pretty much the common experience these days. I'm no gamer... and that's precisely because these games are so entrapping. You get into them and it's hard to walk away. Eventually reality blurrs and you're just as emotionally invested in the game as you are in real life... From there... addiction. And it does happen.

All that said, I wouldn't worry so long as it's not affecting the rest of your life... like you haven't been tempted to take your AK47 to church or anything, have you? :eek:

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
I'd say that's pretty much the common experience these days. I'm no gamer... and that's precisely because these games are so entrapping. You get into them and it's hard to walk away. Eventually reality blurrs and you're just as emotionally invested in the game as you are in real life... From there... addiction. And it does happen.

All that said, I wouldn't worry so long as it's not affecting the rest of your life... like you haven't been tempted to take your AK47 to church or anything, have you? :eek:

Rofl!! no no, games wont affect me to that level!:D

anyways, i started Dragon Age: Origins with a new character. A new beginning we can't have in real life!:rolleyes:

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's the same thing with movies. If you're attached to the character, and then they are murdered or die from other causes, it can effect you. It's certainly not a bad thing... it just shows that you actually have emotions. What's wrong with that?

Kind of reminds me of an episode of King of Queens I saw the other day. Doug was complimented by a cute waitress and was riding high for days. At a movie, some baby exploded on the screen (supposedly) and he had the biggest grin on his face. Maybe that's the point when you need to check yourself ;-)

Syrix

Obliviot
You can't say that "No Russian." mission didn't have any impact on you...
I personally didn't even shoot a bullet... but hey, its just a game.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
It's the same thing with movies. If you're attached to the character, and then they are murdered or die from other causes, it can effect you. It's certainly not a bad thing... it just shows that you actually have emotions. What's wrong with that?

Movies and music routinely play with my emotions. I get angry at the bad guys, cheer for the good guys... and I've been known to bust a tear or two in the really sad parts.

Oddly... Movies impact me more intensely but music has a more prolonged effect.

The wrong song first thing in the morning can ruin my whole day....

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
You can't say that "No Russian." mission didn't have any impact on you...
I personally didn't even shoot a bullet... but hey, its just a game.

not to sound like a maniac but, it was kinda like a different experience in an FPS!
i dont mind shooting ppl in FPSs or GTAs but when it comes to RPGs, making eevil decisions makes me sad.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">