Minecraft Unseats Call of Duty as Most-played Xbox 360 Game

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
For about as long as the Xbox 360 has existed, it's always been an FPS title that's dominated the #1 spot of the "most played" list (tallied as people playing the game while also logged into Xbox Live). Key titles in this list have been Gears of War, Halo, and most recently, Call of Duty. In fact, Call of Duty gets more plays on the Xbox than it does the PC - the platform the series originally launched on. But, supreme no more. Its replacement? None other than Minecraft.

minecraft_x360_box_102812.jpg

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

marfig

No ROM battery
Extremely addictive, immensely fun, vastly innovative, with the added benefit of being superior in its ability to bring out the imagination on a player.

Minecraft isn't for me anymore. I've played all there was and as I became engrossed in the game, the deeper I became involved in its creator decisions. Being that the game took a turn (many turns) I didn't like, I eventually got rid of my desire to keep playing it.

But there's just no surprise that this game took the XBox by storm. It did the same to the PC whether we like it or not. Since Leemings, I hadn't seen such craze for a game. It just has that X Factor that makes it so addictive.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Gotta love they keep updating the game. Recently re-started playing an old saved world to check out the new halloween themed stuff and the new boss. The random zombie pigmen wearing jack-o-lanterns was amusing. :D

Meh, COD is like a 10 year old game anyways.

So is Counter-strike, but it's still the second-most played game on Steam.

Last edited:

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Gotta love they keep updating the game. Recently re-started playing an old saved world to check out the new halloween themed stuff and the new boss. The random zombie pigmen wearing jack-o-lanterns was amusing. :D

So is Counter-strike, but it's still the second-most played game on Steam.

BUT! CS is one game not 6 that are the same with different skins.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
BUT! CS is one game not 6 that are the same with different skins.

Actually, it is! Counter-strike itself is a SINGLE game that at times holds the highest spot with active players online.

But, there is Counter Strike, CS Condition Zero, CS: Source, and just recently CS: Global Offensive. Player stats are not combined.Two are only very mild reskins, while CS:GO is a pretty drastic revamp to the graphics, but otherwise nearly identical. Which is incredibly ironic because CS itself originally was just a game mod for Half Life.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
If I remember correctly however, they don't bring out a reskin every couple years :D COD has been the same (basically) since (atleast) COD 3 on xbox. Just my opinion and the only newer one I have played was MW2.

BLOPS2 seems kinda ridiculous. One of the new commercials for it just made me think wow.... what a disgrace to REAL soldiers and vets. It said "There's a soldier in all of us" (or something similar) and it showed some nerd kinda gamer type hiding and then walking away after he supposedly killed everyone. IIRC they had some similar crap for the last one as well.

Big Red Machine

Hellfire and Brimstone
Staff member
TBH, I'm getting a little geeked for BLOPS2. I enjoyed the story in the first one. (I'm probably in the minority with that opinion.) I haven't seen any ads for BLOPS2, but it'll be interesting to see whether or not they pick up the story from where it left off from the first one.