Microsoft's "Security Essentials" is Now Available

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Microsoft's long-awaited security suite is here, and believe it or not, the public response so far has been not just good, but great. For those who might remember "OneCare", Microsoft's Security Essentials fixes what was wrong with that product, tosses in some new features, and one of the best parts... becomes a free solution. Don't rush to download if you don't have a legit copy of Windows though... a prerequisite of the install is to pass WGA screening.

Security Essentials is formally classified as being an Anti-Virus application, although like Windows Defender (which MSE replaces), it's also a tool to protect against spyware, rootkits and other malware. Like most other security tools on the market, MSE is picky about what other software is installed on the PC, so if you are already using an anti-virus or malware protection application, especially a commercial one, you're likely to want to stick with it.

With the name "Security Essentials", it looks like Microsoft is planning to use the word "Essentials" in more places than one. But despite their goal for integration, the company has not included a link to download the suite from within Windows 7. As Ars Technica pointed out, this is highly likely due to potential antitrust issues, which would surely arrive from companies like Symantic and McAfee. If the browser guys can complain, surely these security companies could too.

There's a lot more information about MSE at the Ars Technica link below, but the overall opinion is that the suite is well worth the download if you aren't currently protected by any anti-virus or anti-malware software. Microsoft claims that between 50 - 60% of Windows users aren't, so there's a clear need for word to get around. MSE isn't the first free security option, but it's likely one of the better, partly in thanks to it's lack of "Buy the Premium version!" nag screens.

microsoft_security_essentials_092909.jpg

In fact, the same engine is used for of the company's security products, including MSE, Forefront, and the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool. Engine updates for MSE and Forefront are delivered at the same time, while signature updates, on the other hand, can be delivered at different times and frequencies compared to Microsoft's other security software. Microsoft expects the use of MSE will significantly improve Forefront since the data the company gets from additional users will be able to improve both products.

Source: Ars Technica

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I've had some form or issue with just about every free AV program I've tried, and a few free trials of some other powerful AV programs has only shown me a few need to develop Windows 7 compatible programs (*cough* F-Secure).

So I've given this a try... and I have been impressed. It uses 5 to 8MB of RAM, the installation is 64bit, and it only requires 13MB in the program files folder. The interface is simple without the glitter AV's love to use to make their programs seem beefy or secure. After some quick testing I can say the program just works. I've even put this on my laptop... the only downside is MS should've had something like this released much sooner.

gibbersome

Coastermaker
Thanks to the endorsements, I'm getting curious myself.

My school already provides us with Symantec AV, I wonder if this is any better.