Microsoft: Windows 8 is Two Years Away

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Compared to the ultra-long release period between Windows XP and Windows Vista, the launch of Windows 7 - which came out a mere 2.5 years after Vista - took many by surprise. It also left many of us wondering when Windows 8 would see the light of day, and if Microsoft's release cycle was going to become more accelerated. As it seems, that's not quite the case... at least not right now.

Read the rest of our post and discuss it here!

orthancstone

Obliviot
I can see this happening, and it really only depends on what changes they end up putting into "8" (quotes because I'm not certain that'll be the eventual name).

Vista delays were equal part fundamental changes and delays for features that they wanted (many of which still didn't make release anyway). Well, that and poor deadline management. 7 came so fast because Vista was continually paned as a failure (even well after the major problems were taken care of) and because most of what they really did was improve a stable OS and add some features they had time to include. Given that they are building on a good OS code base, "8" development time is probably limited by feature set and 7's service packs. It seems reasonable to figure that they'll go for a minimum of 2 SPs for 7 and thus won't push 8 until those are stable and in wide release for a while.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
I wanna see some crazy stuff, more options to play with :D who knows, I don't know what would improve on seven >.< maybe built in stress testing and gpu testing apps? (not likely ofc) but take control of the GPU!!!! use the power!!! hahaha for anything and everything that it can be.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Cant wait... but then again, they say to skip every other new version of windows.

Last edited: