Microsoft Officially Announces Windows 7 Editions

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Last week, we posted about the numerous editions that Windows 7 would be available in, but today, CNET blog Beyond Binary gives even more details about what to expect. It looks like Windows 7 will drop the "Business" moniker and replace it with "Professional", a tag that was best known on Windows XP. In addition, the Home Basic will no longer be available on these shores, but rather be exclusive to emerging markets.

Microsoft's Senior Vice President Bill Veghte notes that the focus in the US will be on the Home Premium and Professional editions, which he claims will account for 80% of Windows 7 sales. The Ultimate edition will still exist, but it doesn't seem like Microsoft is too confident that it will sell that many copies (and as with Vista Ultimate, it probably won't even pay off to the consumer, but that's a personal opinion).

Another aspect taken into account is what each version will include, and thanks to complaints with Vista, you shouldn't have to upgrade to a larger version to get a feature you feel belongs in the one you bought. Media Center, for example, will come included with Professional, whereas it didn't for Business with Vista. So, on these shores, we'll have three main versions to deal with. That's not so bad. Especially if you consider most people will just pick up Home Premium. If you need Professional or Ultimate, you probably know it already.

windows_7_beta_build_010409.jpg

Home Basic, which will be sold only in emerging markets, removes the screen size, processor, and open application limits and adds support for Internet connection sharing and the new sensor and location-based features. However, Home Basic lacks such things as multitouch support or the Aero interface. DVD playback and Windows Media Center are also found in the Home Premium and Professional editions, but not in Basic or Starter.

Source: Beyond Binary Blog

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
This is great. They finally got rid of Home Basic, and made the various editions all-inclusive. :) Professional includes all the features of Home Premium, Enterprise all the features of Professional, and Ultimate all the features of Enterprise. That was a major problem with Vista where more expensive editions like Business lacked features of Home Premium.

If anyone wants to figure out what these Enterprise/Ultimate edition exclusive features are, here ya go: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/enterprise/products/windows-7.aspx

It's a shame Professional does not allow booting from VHD, and that Home Premium lacks Remote Desktop hosting and advanced backup. But I'm glad this decision with W7 editions isn't any worse than choosing between XP Home versus XP Pro.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I was always confused about why Business didn't include Media Center, but had cost more. I figured it was just due to the fact that they expected it to be used in business scenarios only, but even still. I agree about the Home Basic as well... that release never made any sense over here.

moon111

Coastermaker
Besides running two applications at once, I haven't been impressed with anything Windows does over DOS. :p

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Well, for all the whining some people are doing (on other forums, news commentaries, etc) over this news.... can they forget that quickly that XP was far more than just Pro and Home?

XP Starter
XP Home
XP Media Center Edition
XP Professional
XP Tablet Edition

Considering W7 Starter and Enterprise will be OEM only, it makes things pretty clear cut once again as far as choosing an OS goes. Except for the lack of remote desktop host I think I'd be happy with Home Premium, most of the Pro and Enterprise features would be nice to have but are not needed.

Besides running two applications at once, I haven't been impressed with anything Windows does over DOS. :p

I'd like to see you paste some uber-long directory name into your DOS window :D I can't remember if Vista allowed pasting into command prompts via mouse or not?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Kougar said:
Well, for all the whining some people are doing (on other forums, news commentaries, etc) over this news.... can they forget that quickly that XP was far more than just Pro and Home?

People just like to complain, and that's about it. This is especially true when it comes to Microsoft, because a lot of people have a severe love/hate relationship with them. They'll continue to use Windows as their main OS, but still curse out the company whenever they have the chance. It makes no sense, but whatever.

You're right on the version scheme with XP though. I'm not sure why anyone over here even includes Starter in their list though. It's not an OS for us, and never has been. I see nothing wrong with having to deal with the choice between three OS editions now. Like I said before, people can pay little or a lot, depending on what they want. Tiered pricing isn't new... people do the same kind of thing with their cable and cell phone.

Kougar said:
I'd like to see you paste some uber-long directory name into your DOS window I can't remember if Vista allowed pasting into command prompts via mouse or not?

As far as I recall, that has always been allowed, at least since Windows XP. I'm not sure what it's like in 7, but in XP or Vista, I believe you just right-click inside of the command prompt and it will automatically paste the string (I could be thinking of Putty though... I don't know). I do know it's possible to paste it in somehow.

I'm curious though, has the command prompt in 7 been improved at all? One of the largest gripes I've had with Windows lately is that the prompt would see no improvements, and for whatever reason, Microsoft imposes some ridiculous max width (even if you maximize), so it complicates dealing with longer strings (like trying to go to a specific folder). I'd love to finally see an update there. People shouldn't have to go and download PowerShell or whatever it's called in order to enjoy more functionality.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Ah. I wasn't sure as I always paste by Ctrl-V... and that doesn't work for a command prompt window. I just tested it out on XP and XP does allow pasting via mouse. Something I never knew but could've used!

The command prompt window is unchanged in Windows 7 as far as I can tell. Which is odd because they updated all the other accessories. Paint and Wordpad both look like an Office 2007 program, and the calculator is much more useful now.