Microsoft Continues to Deny Blu-ray Add-On

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
If there is one rumor that just will not die, it's 'Blu-ray on Xbox 360'. Rumors somehow keep on starting, and Microsoft is always quick to debunk each and every one of them. I don't think there is any doubt that Microsoft is indeed in talks with Blu-ray drive manufacturers, but nothing seems to have been finalized so far.

As quoted at Shacknews by Microsoft, "Games are what drive consumers to purchase game consoles", and of course, the natural inclination would be to continue focusing on that. The fact is, Blu-ray as a format is not that well known outside of the technically-savvy crowd. Anyone I know personally who actually understands what Blu-ray is, is either a tech buff or works for a retailer. Others have a hard time even knowing that Blu-ray and HD DVD are completely separate things.

Not to mention the lack of overall demand. As noted in the news last week, Blu-ray hardware sales are going up at a snail's pace, with a 2% increase in March over February. That is horrible, given how early we are in the high-def scheme of things. Microsoft is no doubt waiting for adoption to pick up, and that will require better pricing on both Blu-ray hardware and content. It's now all just a waiting game.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
blu-ray_logo_green_xbox_050608.png

</td></tr></tbody></table>
Much like the competing HD DVD or any other optical media, the Sony-backed Blu-ray format requires specialized equipment to operate. As Microsoft produced, and subsequently axed, an Xbox 360 add-on to enable HD DVD playback, many have speculated that the Blu-ray format will eventually make its way to the Xbox 360.

Source: Shacknews

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I cannot see why they would bother. Blu-Ray really doesn't add anything special to the console as they say. I know I am a minority in that I bought my PS3 specifically for Blu-Ray functionality, but most people would pick X-Box live over Blu-ray any day.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
You might be surprised how large that minority is, I keep reading that everyone bought a PS3 because of Blu Ray.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I bought it because I love adding consoles and games to my collection of consoles and games I'll never find time to use.