Maxtor OneTouch 4 Mini 320GB

C

Charlie

my windows computer no longer recognises my 250g one touch hardrive

hey guys i was recently watching a video on my windows computer and my hardrive accidentally got unplugged in the middle of the video, this caused the video to close along with everything else that my hardrive was running. i connected my hardrive again and nothing came up, so i tried it on my other laptop (which previosly read the hardrive) and it also didnt read it, Now all my harddrive does is make a slight buzzing sound when i connect it to my computer, i was wondering if there was any way i could fix this problem or should i just get a new one with my warranty?

thanks alot

chazburger25@hotmail.com

gibbersome

Coastermaker
hey guys i was recently watching a video on my windows computer and my hardrive accidentally got unplugged in the middle of the video, this caused the video to close along with everything else that my hardrive was running. i connected my hardrive again and nothing came up, so i tried it on my other laptop (which previosly read the hardrive) and it also didnt read it, Now all my harddrive does is make a slight buzzing sound when i connect it to my computer, i was wondering if there was any way i could fix this problem or should i just get a new one with my warranty?

thanks alot

chazburger25@hotmail.com

Could be the click of death Charlie.

What kind of a hard drive is it? (WD/Seagate, etc)

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey

thanks alot

chazburger25@hotmail.com

I gather from your description this is an external drive in a sleeve...
It's almost always the controller, not the drive that fails. If the data on the drive matters to you, your best bet would be to try putting the actual hard drive into a different sleeve (as Rory describes).

The separate casings with USB bridge controllers aren't very expensive, maybe $30 for a really delux one and you may be able to pull the files off the drive and reformat to actually save the drive as well.

You might want to look into one of the NexStar housings. I've been using them for quite some time and haven't had any problems with them.

Last edited:

gibbersome

Coastermaker
I gather from your description this is an external drive in a sleeve...
It's almost always the controller, not the drive that fails. If the data on the drive matters to you, your best bet would be to try putting the actual hard drive into a different sleeve (as Rory describes).

The separate casings with USB bridge controllers aren't very expensive, maybe $30 for a really delux one and you may be able to pull the files off the drive and reformat to actually save the drive as well.

You might want to look into one of the NexStar housings. I've been using them for quite some time and haven't had any problems with them.

Agree with 2Tired2Tango. But opening up your external would void the warranty.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
Agree with 2Tired2Tango. But opening up your external would void the warranty.

Thanks for that...

Depending what is on the drive inside, the warranty might be the least of a person's worries. I really don't like seeing someone lose their family photos, financial records or other important data; especially if it's something simple like a broken cable or dead wall wart...

But that's a decision they have to make based on the value of the data.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Depending what is on the drive inside, the warranty might be the least of a person's worries. I really don't like seeing someone lose their family photos, financial records or other important data; especially if it's something simple like a broken cable or dead wall wart...

Yup... there's a huge difference between valuable and invaluable.

C

Charlie

im using the maxtor one touch mini 4, the only difference is that its 320 gig, i think im just going to get a new hardrive with my warranty, the stuff on my hardrive can easily be replaced, i dont use it for much work, more movies and games that i can just put back onto my hardrive from my computer. by the way does anyone know if you can use the hardrive warranty at any dick smiths store (where i originally bought it from) or does it have to be the same place? because inconviently the dick smiths were i bought my hardrive from is undergoing renovation and its not going to be finished in a month or 2, quite annoying really...

Thanks

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
im using the maxtor one touch mini 4, the only difference is that its 320 gig, i think im just going to get a new hardrive with my warranty, the stuff on my hardrive can easily be replaced, i dont use it for much work, more movies and games that i can just put back onto my hardrive from my computer. by the way does anyone know if you can use the hardrive warranty at any dick smiths store (where i originally bought it from) or does it have to be the same place? because inconviently the dick smiths were i bought my hardrive from is undergoing renovation and its not going to be finished in a month or 2, quite annoying really...

Thanks

Generally, if it's within the store's return period (typically 30 days) you will need to take it back to the store where you bought it. It costs a store money for shipping etc. to honor a manufacturer's warranty and it's not really fair to ask Fred to deal with something Dave has made the profit from. Outside the return period you almost always have to send the device back to the manufacturer and they'll either repair or exchange it...

U

Unregistered

THANKS!

Thanks for the instructions on taking this apart. I was very nausiated and sick to my stomach about losing what I had on mine. After rewriting a sermon I was working on, I came to some of the same conclusions you and others did on here....DIY or $1700....I'll take Door #1...DIY.

Did find exactly as you had shown. I had a hard drive interface box & the drive came to life, finally, at 12:30 this morning...spent until 2 am backing up everything off of it to my desktop til after I got a few hours sleep.

I did as others and you had suggested...gave it a new home in a new case...and it's happily working.
Spending even the $85 (another drive, different manufacturer, and also an enclosure for this one) was piddlely compared to the $400-$1800 estimates I was getting.

Thanks!

U

Unregistered

As I mentioned in my review, the first test sample of the OneTouch 4 Mini 320GB that I received had USB connectivity issues, so I had to request a replacement from Maxtor. Thankfully, they were kind enough not to ask for the dead drive back, so I had a chance to check out my suspicion that the problem was simply a failure of the controller card inside the drive enclosure, not the drive itself. If that was the case, I still had a perfectly-functioning 320GB 2.5" hard drive on my hands. I simply needed to extract it from its enclosure.

predisassy.jpg

This is what I was up against. The Maxtor OneTouch 4 Mini enclosure has no visible screw holes, though around the bottom edge, there is a seam that suggests that the two halves of the drive come apart. A bit of experimental prying with my fingernails confirmed that this was the case, and I only needed to stick a flat object into the seam to get the enclosure apart. It didn't put up much of a fight.

disassy.jpg

The Maxtor OneTouch 4 Mini enclosure has a clamshell-style internal design that cradles the drive itself inside, with no fasteners whatsoever anchoring the drive to the casing. The drive is simply suspended in the middle of the enclosure by several foam rubber pads, which helps prevent the transmission of vibration, and was likely what contributed to the drive's almost imperceptible noise level -- I had to hold the drive right up to my ear to hear any noise at all. All the control circuitry for the drive and the USB port is hidden beneath a small RFI shield at the end of the drive where its SATA port is located.

drivecloseup.jpg

The 2.5" hard drive in the Maxtor OneTouch 4 Mini isn't a Maxtor drive at all. It's a Seagate Momentus 5400.5, based on Seagate's popular Momentus 2.5" drive platform. The drive itself should have many more years of reliable service on it. Also, the drive is fully SATA 2.0 compliant. The appearance of a Seagate drive here isn't a surprise, since Seagate acquired Maxtor a couple of years ago, positioning the Maxtor brand in the lucrative lower end of the hard drive market.

driveparts.jpg

controlboard.jpg

Removing the metal shield from the bottom of the drive reveals a small PCB that plugs directly into the drive's SATA and power connections. This PCB doesn't even have a physical connection to the RFI shield -- it just hangs off the back of the drive itself. The SATA connections to the drive are soldered to the PCB itself.

Let me state that we don't advocate taking your hard drive apart on some idle Sunday, because you'll most assuredly void the drive's warranty. I just happened to have one that I couldn't use, and decided to attempt the experiment. Of course, the internal drive was in perfect shape, and it's now spinning happily away in my Gateway laptop, where it replaced an 80GB Fujitsu. Depending on how much Maxtor wants to charge you to recover data from the drive if you encounter a similar problem to mine, it may make more sense simply to take out the internal drive and buy an external 2.5" HDD enclosure.

I have been searching for an answer to my maxtor mini 4 problem when I came across your explanation. I already had it to this point but don't know how to get the connector that goes between the Maxtor an the SATA off of the board. The enclosure has an IDE connector and this definitely doesn't plug into it. I feel really stupid after programming for 12 years and being at home with kids for 10, I think 1/2 my brain is gone!LOL Can someone give me the magic between the drive and my IDE/SATA connector?

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Hey Unregistered.

Do the parts match what Rory shows in his photos?? If so that microcontroller PCB should pop off if pulled straight back away from the drive, and reveal standard SATA ports. If might take a little, gentle wriggling side-to-side before it slides off, but again be careful not to damage the plastic connectors/housing on the drive itself. Don't apply pressure or wriggle the PCB up or down as this can easily snap the plastic the connectors latch onto and will pretty much ruin the drive.

If the drive/PCB board on your drive looks different, then please post some photos so I can be sure of what to recommend. :)