Looking for some cheap old ram.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
So heres bassically the low down on my pc... Its 5+ years old... Im running 2x 64mb cards with 2x 256 cards... Now teh problem with the math there is that my Ram max isnt even 512... its 384.

See my motherboard only supports 128 cards. And Trust me the answer being to find 4 128 cards is obvious to me. However, my ram type supported is RdRam. Something which has been out of production for some time. No they do have it out there... For like $200 for even a 128 stick... Ive even heard the quoted price of $300. I know its time to buy a new computer but im trying to squeeze jsut a few more years out of my old one. So anybody got any clues as to where to look?

Mike Delorme

Obliviot
you know, for the ammount that you would be spending on RDRAM (200*4=800$) You could get a very capaple barebones computer that can do alot more than this computer. Heck if you already have a monitor and printer and stuff tigerdirect.com has barbones kits (Case, Motherbord, RAM, Harddrive, V-Card) For less than $500.

But to answer you question I havnt been able to find anything under $350, just because it is outa date.

Have you tried ebay? that might be a good spot to check out ifyou havnt already

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I agree with Mike.

Especially when the computer is 5 years old.. that's definately time to go and buy a complete new system. For the amount of money you would pay for RAM, it just doesn't justify the performance increase you would recieve.

But, if you really want just more RAM, check Ebay.. that would be the only way you could get some relatively cheap.

Will Nave

E.M.I.
Yeah, just go to Tigerdirect (via the advetisement on home page *wink*wink*) and check out their barebones systems. You can get some nice set-ups for under 200 bones. If you need help pointing them out let me know and I can link you some. I just built my younger brother a kick-ass rig based off of a Soyo barebones system from Tigerdirect. for less than 500 bucks we literally got everything but a monitor, and all we had to do was assemble. :D

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Ive looked at a few... The X case package is for like $509... looks like an ok deal, and my vid card would do wonders in there...

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Definately scour eBay. Some really good deals out there.
Just be careful and research the seller. If you have any questions or concerns, please post up and we'll assist if we can!

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Whats wrong with Dell? They make PC's targeted towards companys and idiots who know nothing about PC's. They have the Gamer PC's that are marketed towards kids with either a lot of money or the lack of adventure that it takes to build your own PC. Dell is a great company and has tremendous costomer support. My sister and both my mother and father all use Dells on my recomendation. I dont have the time to fix their screw ups all of the time so why not get a PC with a good warranty and a top notch tech support backing that warranty. Are their PC's fast? Not at all. Are they now able to reliably check their email and copy music and movies, absolutly.