Looking Back at 30 Years of Nudity in Gaming

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
In film and even television in some cases, nudity is becoming less of a rarity, and when it appears, it's hard to not notice it. In gaming, however, nudity hasn't exactly been all too common, and the only game I can recall playing that's had any sort of it was Duke Nukem 3D. Even that was rather mild in the grand scheme (a 3 pixel nipple isn't exactly photo-quality).

nudity_in_gaming_041910.jpg

You can read the rest of our post here.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Duke: Shake it baby.

I remember when the sky was falling for parents and early teen boys everywhere rejoiced when Age Of Conan was released with pixel boob. I'm indifferent to it all though. Maybe I'm just showing my age. In certain situations it lends to the realism of the environment (shooting up a strip club) but repeated use of it just for shock value or to get a few people to turn their heads is just plain dull.

Envy

Obliviot
I believe Hot Coffee was a mod was it not? Ever since I got into the PC community I've noticed for every game I play (Mostly valve games although it's sort of hard with this piece of c*ap computer, Hint hint nudge nudge) there is always a mod with nudity.

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
I think for some people, and for some teens with strict parents, it really can ruin a good game for them that would otherwise be perfect without that one nude scene.
________
LS650

Last edited:

looisboo

Obliviot
I remember my friend taking me to a bar in gta vice city and there he showed me a girl dancing almost naked and i was like wtf...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I believe Hot Coffee was a mod was it not?

That wasn't a mod but something built into the retail game. Rockstar locked it up so that people couldn't see it, but people who were fooling around with the files for the PC game noticed something a bit strange, and that's how it became known about. The version of the game for consoles also has the same sex minigame, but it's inaccessible except through things like emulators.

I think for some people, and for some teens with strict parents, it really can ruin a good game for them that would otherwise be perfect without that one nude scene.

On the other hand, sometimes the same things gets these companies more money. There's only one reason I was 13-years-old and sat through the 3-hour movie that was known as the Titantic...