Logitech's "Darkfield" mice track on glass

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Last week, Logitech released two new mice that fall under their new "Darkfield" series. I'm not sure what Darkfield means, but the biggest feature of the new mice is the fact that they're able to track on glass, as long as it's 4mm thick. I admit, this is a rather cool feature, as I have in the past found myself sitting at a glass table and without the ability to use a real mouse, so my interest is piqued.

The downside might be the initial price, so I'm wondering how adoption for these is going to be. For the HTPC space, there's definite potential, as you can use these mice on the table in front of you, if it happens to be all glass... it's definite convenience.

What are your thoughts on these?

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/349/6094&cl=us,en?WT.ac=mb|6170||hp&creative=16528|Darkfield

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
Wellll... there is the little matter that an $8.95 rolling ball style mouse will track on glass better than just about any other surface...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Wellll... there is the little matter that an $8.95 rolling ball style mouse will track on glass better than just about any other surface...

That's true of course, but it comes down to both appearance and other things. Mice with trackballs are not appealing to look at, and they have their own downsides, such as dirt and the like. It is rather funny that you mention it though. It's an old technology, but has beat out new technology in this regard.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
As I sheepishly scroll thru this thread with my rolling ball mouse (it is cordless tho) and think about Morse code vs SMS text ...

Morse code ...
is "read" w/o looking at a screen & therefore works for the blind
is sent w/o looking at a screen,
psbly bgn shrt pln mssgs (possibly began short plain messages)
faster
cheaper
less bandwidth
can be used while driving ... er ...

SMS text ...
has "lol" n "brb" ... lol
silent ... can be used by the deaf & during meetings/class
*everyone* has it
can be used while driving ... er ...
more reliable unless a hurricane has blown thru

I ddnt buy a glss dsk a fw mnths bk cuz I thght a mouse wld b a PITA

b2b

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
Wow... talk about a thread getting hijacked....

On topic... those look like very good mice and the works on glass thing is a plus... I'm just balking at the price.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
yes .. sorry, I have been in the office already too long today ... I have stopped using mouse pads. I have a smooth desk top & it is easier to clean than a textured mouse pad.

They don't indicate how long the battery lasts.

ThomasW

Obliviot
booo

Nor do they indicate the relevant specs: max acceleration and DPI. Turns out the MX performance only has 1500 DPI (from a blogger/reviewer) and the MX anywhere I still can't find. Too slow for my big monitor, and way too slow for my fast-paced gaming.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Nor do they indicate the relevant specs: max acceleration and DPI. Turns out the MX performance only has 1500 DPI (from a blogger/reviewer) and the MX anywhere I still can't find. Too slow for my big monitor, and way too slow for my fast-paced gaming.

True... those specs should be included. These aren't touted as being gaming mice though, so information like that isn't important to their target audience. Perhaps we'll get a proper gaming mouse using this technology soon. It could be that 1500+ DPI is a technical limitation using their new technology, but hopefully not.