Logitech G700 Wireless Gaming Mouse

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Are you an avid gamer looking for a feature-rich and reliable gaming mouse that also happens to be wireless? Logitech's G700 might be worth a look. At around $85, it's not cheap, but it does offer a plethora of customizable buttons, the ability to go wired if the battery dies, and also supports a super-high 5700 DPI.

Read through Jamie's in-depth look at Logitech's G700 gaming mouse and then discuss it here!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I admit... the lackluster battery-life wouldn't bother me too much, as long as the rest of the mouse was up to par. It's nothing to just pop the mouse on the charger before bed, so I don't see that as a huge issue. Plus, it's a HUGE advantage to be able to go wired if the need arises.

The mouse overall looks decent though... I don't care for the four custom buttons in their arrangement, but meh, it might help out greatly in certain games.

I don't know what it is, but Logitech's mice in recent years just haven't managed to excite me like the models the company released from 2005~2007.

Yangster

Obliviot
I have this mouse and I really like it. I haven't played more competitive fps like CS in a while, but I've been playing l4d2 and it works well.

The battery life really isn't an issue for me. There are 2 things you can do:
1. Change/set up a profile for general computing use. When you're surfing the web, watching vids, typing articles, doing hw, etc you don't need the higher poll rates. I keep my poll rate at 333 for normal use, and I have different profiles when I'm gaming. So basically if you only use higher poll rates for gaming, then you can expand your battery life for a lot longer.
2. Buy some rechargeable batteries. I bought a charger that came with 4 powerex 2700 mah batteries and it's great. Whenever the batteries die or are really low, I simply swap it out for a new one. It takes 10-15 secs so if you're worried about your mouse dying while gaming, you can swap it out during the end of a round or when you're respawning.

I can use 1 battery for days and usually I can use one for a whole week. With the 4 I bought and the one that came with the mouse, I have 5 batteries total. I basically only need to charge my batteries once a month and since I have a battery recharger for that, it's even simpler because I charge 4 at once.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
I guess I am being a little hard on the battery life, but it is a wireless mouse that can barely last a day of gaming. It's a fantastic mouse otherwise, as i said, it takes a little bit of time to appreciate, setup the profiles and such. Even now, I'm still tampering with the profile options, automatic application switching, etc, etc. Getting replacement batteries shouldn't really be a big deal, but it's like buying a CPU cooler then buying extra fans, it's another cost.

I have been meaning to get some higher capacity batteries, throwing them in and setting the poll rate to 250Hz - see how long the battery lasts then. The battery supplied with this mouse was a long life (hybrid - low self discharge) 2000mAh, so a decent battery - which shows how much power the mouse can consume. The fact the mouse can go wired is a big plus, and this is actually how I use it. If there was a cheaper version without the wireless, I'd definitely buy it. It just comes down to personal preference; wireless is not as important to me as a feature in a mouse. For those where it's essential or highly desirable, there are better wireless mice - admittedly lacking the same feature set, but again, priorities.

My only other real complaint is how much it makes my hand sweat... it's very distracting.

killem2

Coastermaker
I think I am going to be in the market for this mouse soon. My MX-1000 is getting to its geriatric stages. :D

That battery life doesn't phase me much, since it can plug in, and due to my children and the Wii I have A LOT of AA rechargeable around.