Linux Mint 8 Released

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
The world of Linux is a fun one to be part of, because when it comes down to it, the sheer amount of choice, from applications to distributions, is unparalleled. For desktop Linux, some of the most popular options are Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE and a couple of others, but according to the top chart at DistroWatch, the third most popular version of Linux over the past six months was Linux Mint, and chances are, if you're a Linux enthusiast, you know all about this one.

Linux Mint is the most popular distro based on Ubuntu, so that in itself means it has a solid base. But Mint takes things a bit further by doing more to make the OS feel like a desktop OS, rather than a work OS, by customizing the UI, including its own set of tools to make administration a simple task, among other interesting things that I won't touch on here. For the most part, though, Mint is for those who want the robust security, and repositories of Ubuntu, but want something a bit different, with a fresh coat of paint.

I have been meaning to take a good look at Mint for the past few months, and until now, I still had an ISO on my PC for Linux Mint 6, which seems mighty foolish now that Linux Mint 8 has just been released. There are a few major changes to this new version, including an upgrade to the boot-loader, which is now GRUB 2. Because of this change, the ability to install Mint through Windows is no longer possible, and I'm not sure if it is possible as I'm not sure exactly how GRUB 2 differs from older versions.

In addition to the "Main" edition, which includes everything you need to get your desktop up and running, there's a new "Universal" LiveDVD edition which includes a slew of languages, and no codecs support and no restricted formats. This is to assure that there are no legal issues in any country (the developers make it easy to install them, however... it's just a menu item). Of course, Linux Mint is based on the latest Ubuntu codebase, 9.10, so that means it supports more hardware than ever, and also a new installer. I'm downloading this one, and I am going to give it a go soon (at least, well before Linux Mint 10 comes along!).

linux_mint_120109.jpg

The 8th release of Linux Mint comes with numerous bug fixes and a lot of improvements. In particular Linux Mint 8 comes with support for OEM installs, a brand new Upload Manager, the menu now allows you to configure custom places, the update manager now lets you define packages for which you don’t want to receive updates,the software manager now features multiple installation/removal of software and many of the tools’ graphical interfaces were enhanced.

Source: Linux Mint

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
So are you saying they removed the built in codecs and media support? That seemed like the entire reason behind Linux Mint, having that stuff all ready to go after the initial install...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
So are you saying they removed the built in codecs and media support? That seemed like the entire reason behind Linux Mint, having that stuff all ready to go after the initial install...

That's just the Universal edition, which is meant to be used worldwide. The standard version is still there with codecs intact. Even on the Universal edition, it's as simple as using a menu item to install all the codecs. The developers have to cover their behinds somehow.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Ah, I see. I can understand that, given many of the codecs were not eligible to be included in the GNU license, etc. Still this was how I found out about and tried Linux Mint, because I just wanted something that worked. Trying to install the libraries and recompile a driver to use them just to make Foobar work under some other brand of linux was frustrating to no end!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm not sure what kind of restricted driver or library would be required for that, to be honest. All that should require is for Wine to be installed, unless there's something else I'm missing. That aside, my experience with audio players like foobar2000 has never been ideal (I -do- use foobar as an alarm each day, though), but I'd quicker recommend a native player for the best performance.