Linux Mint 12 First Impressions

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's been a while since I last took Linux Mint for a spin, so with the much-hyped 12 having just been released, how could I put off taking another look at it any longer? This release is arguably the most interesting in Mint's history, as it integrates GNOME 3 like no other distro has. In essence, the Linux Mint team is now giving its users an up-to-date desktop environment, but sans the downsides of a traditional GNOME 3 install.

linux_mint_12_preview_111011_thumb.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

MacMan

Partition Master
Oooh, this looks like it might be what I've been looking for. Don't get me wrong, I love Ubuntu since its my primary OS at the moment, but let's not kid ourselves..... it's far from perfect in certain areas, such as customization. I got Complz to work, but what a time I had doing so, so thanks for this post, because I'm now really looking forward to an in-depth look later on, when you get the time to do it.

Last edited:

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
I've always found Gnome to be rather crash-y. End-up-with-a-frozen-screen crashy. Driver issues, maybe, but it's happened with many different computers of mine. And I really can't rely upon something that may only go thirty minutes before locking up.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I honestly haven't used GNOME to any real degree, but I have never experienced that sort of thing - especially not after a mere 30 minutes of using the OS.