Linspire's ex-CEO Kevin Carmony Loves Ubuntu

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
It's not often that we can experience a CEO from one company bolting and then admit to falling in love with another companies product afterwards. But, that's what happened with Linspire's ex-CEO Kevin Carmony, who recently made a post on the Ubuntu forums admitting to being stoked for it.

He notes that once he left Linspire, he experimented with numerous distros and found Ubuntu to be an "easy choice". Of course, this is the same person who used to say great things about a distro he obviously had a great distaste with. Of course, if I were an ex-CEO looking to beef up my cred, I'd choose the most popular distro known to man as well.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
ubuntu_large_news_logo.png
</td></tr></tbody></table>
Now that I'm no longer the CEO of Linspire, or under any obligation to use that particular distribution, I thought I should take some time and look around at all the distributions and decide which one was right for me and my PC. In addition to already being quite familiar with Linspire and Freespire, I also looked at Novell/Suse, Red Hat/Fedora, PC Linux, Ubuntu, and Kubuntu. Well, after all my research, I have to tell you, it was an easy choice. Ubuntu! I'm excited for the new release in a few days, which I will use to replace the many Linux desktop and laptop PCs I own (five).

Source: Ubuntu Forums

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Ubuntu is the distro that I'm going to use for my first shot at Linux, I hope its halfway easy and I don't muck something up..............;)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's half-way easy, but not easy as you'd expect. As long as you have basic technical knowledge, you will be fine.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
We'll see how it goes shortly......;) They said that my CD's have been shipped out on the 15th, so it shouldn't be to much longer................:)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Definitely don't hesitate to ask questions if you run into problems. I hope you are going to receive the latest version that just came out?

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I'm supposed to be getting the newest 7.10 that just came out, I was going to download it but at 700MB, it would have used way to much of my monthly bandwidth, so I just ordered the CD's instead (both the 32 and 64 bit versions).

If I run into any issuse at all I'll be asking all sorts of questions..........;)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Geez, how much bandwidth are you entitled to? I guess I should also ask... which ISP are you stuck with?

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I have a satellite connection, download speeds of maximum 512kb and a max bandwidth of 7.5GB for a 30 day rolling month. And that's for the wife and I both at the same time, doesn't leave much left over for extras every month.