LG's Universal Blu-Ray, HD-DVD Player

liqnit

E.M.I.
so this will probably mean the end of the format wars when you can have both formats in one device then there is basically no problem.
i am glad that this player will come so soon.
read here

I would hold off buying anything Blu-Ray related. The format's still held up in patent offices, and it's likely that the standard will have to change, if Sony ever wants it to see the light of day.

liqnit

E.M.I.
i think if sony is putting it inside the PS3 then it will be spread out.
so there is a good chance that it pass the patent office - with this device you can get both future formats in one device

Nobody's sure if Sony will be able to put it in the PS3 yet. The release date's been pushed back again, and they haven't actually released any solid specs on the standard. If LG were to put that player out before Sony finalizes the design, there's a very good chance that it won't play Blu-Ray disks.

Sony's already had to redesign the standard twice, and they're no closer now to having it final than when they announced it close to two years ago. As it is, the PS3 is a year overdue because of this.

liqnit

E.M.I.
fussnfeathers said:
Nobody's sure if Sony will be able to put it in the PS3 yet. The release date's been pushed back again, and they haven't actually released any solid specs on the standard. If LG were to put that player out before Sony finalizes the design, there's a very good chance that it won't play Blu-Ray disks.

Sony's already had to redesign the standard twice, and they're no closer now to having it final than when they announced it close to two years ago. As it is, the PS3 is a year overdue because of this.

if sony will miss the launch date on PS3 then all is open and it may remove the BR from the console in that case ....
i am not sure it will be sauch a hit

Sony will ride that Blu-Ray pony until they've got blisters the size of silver dollars on their butts. They're going to get an awful shock when they release the PS3 (at an estimated street price of close to $800 USD) that's not legacy compatible, and sales are abysmal. I just don't see the point. HD-DVD will be compatible with current standard DVD media, is far cheaper to produce, and can be made with the same equipment as current DVD hardware. Media as well......just some minor tweaking to the assembly lines is all that's needed. Sony's trying to reinvent the wheel.............but their version will be square, will only work on one car, on one particular road, and ONLY if you use Sony Brand(tm) Gaso-hol. If you want to drive anywhere else, you'll need a "legacy" car.

liqnit

E.M.I.
as i undersatnd teh BR will be able to READ the old format but write in BR format only
so in that case there will be a lot of games to be on the new console
if there is no option of reading the old format then it will be a big blow to Sony

The read capability keeps changing. As it stands right now, if Sony wants to keep the cost down, they won't be backwards compatible, as that would require two lasers and two processing units per drive. Either way, Blu-Ray is going to be a deathblow for the Playstation. Either it will be priced reasonably, but unable to play older games, or it will be so outrageously overpriced, nobody but a few die-hards will buy it.

I could go off on a pages-long rant against Sony, believe me.