Lenovo Takes Keyboard Alterations Seriously

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
What would a computer be without a keyboard? Useless if you ask me. But just how much thought has gone into the keyboard as we know it, and is there room for improvement? The folks at Lenovo think so, but it's obvious that changes can't be made without some serious thought first. How many times have you purchased a new keyboard or notebook, only to be upset by a certain placement? It's happened to me too many times.

On their latest ThinkPad model, Lenovo moved their "Delete" key, and for some it might be a welcome or loathed change. But in an article by USA Today, it's shown that the company doesn't take such changes lightly, and they put in mass amounts of research before committing to one. Recently, they even installed keypress tracking software on 30 employees' computers (the employees knew) in order to see which keys were used most often, and this helped them decide which keys should and shouldn't be touched.

The question must be begged... are we due for a major keyboard overhaul? With the advent of people being able to type on ridiculously small keyboards (cell phones, PDAs, etc), it seems as though the current layouts could likely be changed for the better and no one would mind. Not to mention we still have some keys that seemingly have little purpose, such as the CAPS LOCK. I'm perfectly happy with current layouts on most boards, and I'm not opposed to change, but I'm really not sure what major changes any company could make that most everyone would be pleased with. That's a tough one.

lenovo_keyboard_070509.jpg

Push-back from consumers hasn't stopped companies from testing and even manufacturing keyboards with unconventional designs over the years, in some cases demonstrating that people could learn to type faster than on standard QWERTY keyboards, so-called because of the arrangement of the top row of letters. During Hardy's time at IBM, researchers came up with ball-shaped one-handed keyboards that he said were faster than standard ones.

Source: USA Today

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I am far too old to have to get used to a whole new keyboard. I am unable to type using the home keys on a QWERTY keyboard as it is. They can come out with a new one, that is fine. I just hope we keep getting standardized models as well since there are going to be alot of people mad without it.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I just hope we keep getting standardized models as well since there are going to be alot of people mad without it.

Of course... those will never go away. People still create keyboards based around the idea of the old clackity IBM keyboards... so the standard design as we know it is going to surpass our lifetimes without question.

Glider

Coastermaker
At work someone uses a DVORAK keyboard, and while it looks complex, he types a hell lot faster then me :)

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
The question must be begged... are we due for a major keyboard overhaul? With the advent of people being able to type on ridiculously small keyboards (cell phones, PDAs, etc), it seems as though the current layouts could likely be changed for the better and no one would mind. Not to mention we still have some keys that seemingly have little purpose, such as the CAPS LOCK. I'm perfectly happy with current layouts on most boards, and I'm not opposed to change, but I'm really not sure what major changes any company could make that most everyone would be pleased with. That's a tough one.

A little blast from the past....

Back when Remington invented the typewriter, keyboard action was mechanical connected to flying bars that would swing up and impact the ribbon pressing ink onto the paper. What they discovered very quickly was that, given employer pressure, some people were actually able to "touch type" faster than their machines could go.... The type bars would hit one another, often requiring the typist to stop and manually untangle them... killing productivity.

This lead to the developement of the current QWERTY keyboard layout; arranged deliberately to slow a typist down.

The most used letter in the English language is the letter E. It used to be under the right index finger. The second is the A which was under the left index finger. Other keys, most used were similarly arranged under the fingers on "home row"... and people were becoming so fast the machines could not keep up.

So Remington rearranged the keys so that literally every word requires reaching or curling the fingers. There are fewer than 20 words that can be typed entirely from home row on a QWERTY board and 3/4 of them come from the left side.

The strategy worked, their machines were touted as "Jam Proof" and indeed they had a reputation for productivity and durability of their typewriters.

Of course it's now over a century later and the QWERTY board is the defacto standard on which billions of people have learned to "touch type"... Methinks that re-arranging things is not something to be taken lightly. Beyond moving a key or two the result of rearranging to a more productive keyboard (now that machines can keep up) would be hundreds of millions of dollars spent re-training staff and replacing hardware... It would take a generation for "first skills" to catch up and during that time productivity would fall to near nothing.

As a touch typist who can sometimes hit 90 words a minute, I dread the idea of changing things around too much... Moving, even between the keyboards on my laptop and desktop systems requires an adjustment.. I don't even want to guess how often I've reached for a non-existent number pad.... :)

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Of course it's now over a century later and the QWERTY board is the defacto standard on which billions of people have learned to "touch type"... Methinks that re-arranging things is not something to be taken lightly. Beyond moving a key or two the result of rearranging to a more productive keyboard (now that machines can keep up) would be hundreds of millions of dollars spent re-training staff and replacing hardware... It would take a generation for "first skills" to catch up and during that time productivity would fall to near nothing.

As a touch typist who can sometimes hit 90 words a minute, I dread the idea of changing things around too much... Moving, even between the keyboards on my laptop and desktop systems requires an adjustment.. I don't even want to guess how often I've reached for a non-existent number pad.... :)

Not at all... changing ANYTHING is going to result in complaints en masse. It's funny though, because as you said, the history is that they created QWERTY to slow things down, yet in all reality today, it's completely efficient. I honestly couldn't imagine a better layout, and certainly not if we had a straight ABC alphabet to look over. I could be wrong, after all, it's what we're used to. I'm content though.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
Not at all... changing ANYTHING is going to result in complaints en masse. It's funny though, because as you said, the history is that they created QWERTY to slow things down, yet in all reality today, it's completely efficient. I honestly couldn't imagine a better layout, and certainly not if we had a straight ABC alphabet to look over. I could be wrong, after all, it's what we're used to. I'm content though.

:) The original Comodore Pet computer had an ABCDE keyboard... WOW, what a pain that was!

Well, then there is the Dvorak board...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboard

Most commonly used words can be typed on this keyboard witout curling or reaching more than one or two fingers. The most commonly used letters are on "home row", arranged so that you use your left and right hands about equally. It's likely you could type twice as fast on this keyboard, once you got used to it.... but it's that learning curve that throws the wrench into the machine...

O fcourse I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the ultimate in inventiveness...

http://microship.com/

Back in and early 80s, this fellow made quite a name for himself with the "behemoth" bicycle ( http://microship.com/bike/index.html ) Of particular interest is that he would write and submit magazine articles while riding... On the handle bars of his recumbent bike he'd affixed 8 pushbuttons, by pressing them in binary combinations to represent ascii values, he was able steer, type and ride all at once.

But yep, QWERTY wins, simply because everyone knows it already.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That's the first time I actually saw a DVORAK layout, and wow... talk about different. You're right though... a lot about it does make sense. I don't think I'd be willing to learn it though. Once you get on any other machine, it's going to have QWERTY, so why make more work for yourself?

As for biking to type... *looks at gut*... perhaps not a bad idea.