Laptops recommended for video editing?

leecho7

Partition Master
I'm currently thinking of purchasing a laptop specifically designed for video editing. Or a system that can handle film quality full feature length movies type of editing, in a reasonable price though. I don't want to go all out hollywood and spend 70,000+ and a simple editing deck.
I was thinking of getting a laptop to do this cause space is very limited in the apartment I live in now.
Do you think a laptop would be powerful enough to handle my needs?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Welp, depending on how much money you have to spend, you have a few choices. Personally, if I was to go for a laptop primarily for video editing, I would get a nice Apple Powerbook. I don't know too much about the specs you would want for a Mac, but any mainstream model would be more than enough I'm sure.

For a PC, I'd make sure it's an Intel P4 with HyperThreading. You will want at least 1GB of PC3200 memory and a sizable harddrive depending on what you need.

Depending on how hardcore you want to be, you will not want to hold back on buying a laptop. A high quality laptop will be able to do what you need quite well. I wish I could recommend makes or models, but I'm drawing a blank :confused:

leecho7

Partition Master
Yeah, in school our computers for video editing are macs. We also have this uber modified mac that literally has terabytes of memory and about 5terrabytes of storage.
I was thinking of just building an uber super desktop pc to replace mine, incase I need to upgrade. I did some research, and I can get a very uber machine (almost top of the line) for about $1500.

AMD 64 4000 Clawhammer 1ghz fsb
Asus A8n-SLI Deluxe
Patriot 2gigs DDR 400 dual channel ram
Geforce 7800GT 256mb GDDR3
Creative Sound Blaster ZS platinum
A cool looking alluminum case
Bunch of fans and the sort
Antec 550w PSU

I already have a kick arse harddrive, speakers, and monitor so I don't have to worry about those.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That's a great looking setup you have listed.

I would drop the CPU and get a San Diego chip instead, if you want the highest speed available. Maybe the 3700+ we reviewed or the next step up. The Venices and Sandy's introduced the iSSE3 instruction set which should prove better for your video editing.

I would drop the Audigy also and replace it with a Chaintech AV-710, which costs half as much, trust me :D

leecho7

Partition Master
Yeah I was comparing the Athlon 64 4000+ Clawhammer and the San Diego and really couldn't tell the difference from the reviews on Newegg. I picked Clawhammer cause it sounded cool.

Thanks for the tip on the soundcard, I'm now trying to shave off as much bucks as I can so it won't leave so broke.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I highly recommend you choose a San Diego instead of the Clawhammer, because they are the same price. Never buy a piece of hardware because of the name :p

The San Diego runs cooler and requires less power. Since it also includes the iSSE3, it would make sense because of the primary use of the PC. They also tend to overclock better if that's your bag.

Good luck on your new PC though, it's going to kick serious ass.

leecho7

Partition Master
Yeah, not too much of an overclocker. I would possibly consider overclocking if I knew my way around the fancy water cooling stuff. I always tend to stay on the conservative side when it comes to computers and overclocking.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That's cool too though. That way, things don't get broken :)

Of course, you don't need to water cool in order to overclock, but it helps. I actually set up my first WC rig today.. it's in the testing phases now before I throw hardware in. It's way easier than you can imagine.

leecho7

Partition Master
I might have to look into that water cooling stuff, but in the mean time some good old fashioned fans suit me well.

I was thinking of downgrading my graphics card from a 7800gt to a Radeon x850pro. But hopefully, the price for the 7800gt goes down by the time I order (2-3 months).

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The 7800GT has already gone down $60CAN since it launched, and I can only expect it to go down more if the X1 series is going to kick serious ass.

Either way, for the price of the 7800GT, it's an *amazing* card.

Chris1234567

Obliviot
Don't under estimate a hard drive speed. Small drives in a few raid 0 set for working storage / temp / page will speed up your editing allot. Ram drives just do absolutely amazing things for video editing too. I know you said laptop but I really think of a small custom built desktop if you can afford it.
________
AVANDIA LAWSUITS

Last edited: