Lamptron Announces 'Steampunk' FC10 Fan Controller

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Lamptron has long been producing some of the most powerful and best-looking fan controllers on the market, and with its FC10 series, the company aims to take things just a bit further. For steampunk fans, Lamptron has implemented "nixie tube" displays that use bright orange cathodes. The result is a cool vintage look, and probably one of the most unique peripherals ever to be installed in a PC.

lamptron_fc10_032212_thumb.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
I'm feeling the urge to spend money on somethign I don't actually need...

Damn you steampunk... Damn you...

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I abhor the term steampunk but given it's fall from stupid everyday popularity, it's a bit more stomachable. That being said, I love this controller.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
I'm not in love with the term either, it's neither 'Steam' nor 'Punk' in nature, it's Victorian Sci-Fi - lots of brass and gears etc. Tesla didn't work a lot with Steam as far as I'm aware either, but he's often lumped in with 'Steampunk'.

However, I do love the mechanical style and 'safety be damned' electron emmision devices and tubes; not so hot on the clothes. Top-hat, britches, blouse, tie, knee-high socks and hoodwinks? No thanks... It gets even more confusing when people start wearing WWII era aviator leather hats and goggles...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
However, I do love the mechanical style and 'safety be damned' electron emmision devices and tubes; not so hot on the clothes. Top-hat, britches, blouse, tie, knee-high socks and hoodwinks? No thanks... It gets even more confusing when people start wearing WWII era aviator leather hats and goggles...

I admit it's interesting, I am just not sure there are too many chassis that it'd look that great in.

Perhaps it's time to build that "Steampunk" PC, Thar!

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
I admit it's interesting, I am just not sure there are too many chassis that it'd look that great in.

Perhaps it's time to build that "Steampunk" PC, Thar!

Oh I'd love too, but I'm not sure I have the expertise or the budget to do it. Nice little project to put all the pieces together though. Finding the right motherboard design with the right look - maybe a Sabertooth with the thermal Armor, but put brass inlays in. A 'Brass Color' would not work, would have to get it powder coated or something, or just build a new cover out of brass...

Water cooling would be essential, just to get the pipes. Probably copper piping though. N2 would be cool, but impractical.

I've seen monitors and keyboards, etc, that have had the relevent treatment. The case would have to be custom though, not something that you could just buy off the shelf and mod...

Damn you - making me think and dream...

Brett Thomas

Senior Editor
Mmmmm modding...How I miss it so...

I actually really like this controller. It's so unusual...but as said earlier, it'll be hard to find a match for it if you don't truly mod your case. Just sitting in a bay on its own, it would look pretty odd. That being said, I'd not mind trying that out just for testing purposes, of course... ;)