KVM switches ... HDMI?

Psi*

Tech Monkey
Keyboard video mouse switches for sharing your resources amongst multiple computers. For anyone using multiple computers these things save a lot of screwing around in time and money.

Now that I have an inexpensive source of HDMI cables, I want to upgrade the 10 y/o KVM box to using HDMI. I find this on 'egg. But that is pretty expensive ... is it what I want?:confused: I have 4 computers FWIW

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
This looks to have an identical feature set... even the back panel is almost identical, but over $100 cheaper (if you inc delivery).

http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-4-Port-Multimedia-Switch-GCS1794/dp/B001V9LQ52
Newegg version: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817399048

Just take note of people having difficulty with the dedicated USB mouse port and instead use the generic USB port for high-data mice.

HDMI switches are going to be expensive, KVM based switches even more so. As long as you don't need to go over 1920x1200, then these should be fine.

If you're happy to stick with DVI (which is compatible with HDMI minus sound support), then you can knock even more cash off for the same features. Depends on whether you need sound support or not and if you need adapters for anything.

DVI Version: http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-4-Port...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1307314999&sr=1-2

Last edited:

Psi*

Tech Monkey
Thanks Thar ... I have some train traveling over the next couple of days so I will have time to absorb. I am sure that I will have a review of this when I return. :)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Should I be embarassed that I've never used a KVM switch ever? To be fair, I haven't had the need. I didn't realize they were quite so expensive though. How do the prices today match what you paid for yours ten years ago, Psi?

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Should I be embarassed that I've never used a KVM switch ever? To be fair, I haven't had the need. I didn't realize they were quite so expensive though. How do the prices today match what you paid for yours ten years ago, Psi?

No. I don't think home use of KVMs is that high of a number though I could be wrong. Probably am.

PSI.... what is your setup like? I don't know how you have your place setup or how you intend on using the machines but if you just have one monitor, you might look into saving some money and getting a matching monitor to the one you have now. Then you could use a free program called Synergy to share your keyboard and mouse among the two systems. That way you would have a second monitor as well. Unless you have a high-res, large screen monitor, you can pick up a nice display for cheaper than either of those KVMs.

I have no bloody clue why they are so expensive. The only one I have ever used was in a server rack at my old job. They are nice when you have a few machines to connect to but when you have a dozen racks full of servers, terminal services is the way to go.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
They're expensive simply because they are niche products. A plain HDMI switch is expensive in it's own right, but that's partly to do with HDCP support, bi-directional communication, etc (how much of which is true, i don't know, just reading into reasons). Racks tend to use IP-KVMs, KVM over Ethernet, and are even more expensive.

Greg brings up a good point too, software like Synergy is fine too (great even), but if you need to do BIOS edits, faulty or no network, or it doesn't play nice with the current OS, it doesn't help. But yeah, it all comes down to the situation and setup. Remote desktop software like UltraVNC could also be used if you want access over the 'net. You might be able to get away with an HDMI switch and a separate USB switch for the KB and mouse. An extra monitor would still be a good idea if you have the space...

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Greg brings up a good point too, software like Synergy is fine too (great even), but if you need to do BIOS edits, faulty or no network, or it doesn't play nice with the current OS, it doesn't help. But yeah, it all comes down to the situation and setup. Remote desktop software like UltraVNC could also be used if you want access over the 'net. You might be able to get away with an HDMI switch and a separate USB switch for the KB and mouse. An extra monitor would still be a good idea if you have the space...

I should have mentioned that you will still need to switch your keyboard over to the other machine to log in but once that's done, you are set. I use Synergy every day at work and have for the past 3 years. It's a little quirky but the absolute best solution that I've found to share input resources among different machines.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Oh wow, Synergy is great. I used to use it daily across my desktop and laptop, works great as a poor man's dual monitor setup! Nifty program and perhaps a bit amazed it hasn't really caught on more since I first tried it.

Rob, if anything I'd imagine a KVM switch would simplify your life a hell of alot!

Cheap 4-port PS2/VGA switches abound for $20 with cables built-in. Sound adds a bit to the cost, but USB and DVI based switches was where they really started to gouge buyers though. It used to be really bad. Now with HDMI and USB 3 those are coming down in price... I did find http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817399101 IOGear was the maker of both sets of KVM switches I have, I'd rate them pretty well... although rarely the cheapest option out there they're usually cheaper than most others.