iWatchz!

Psi*

Tech Monkey
I feel like I have living under a rock. Why is it that I did not know that the iPod nano is so small?!?

Look at this!

A long time ago (25+ years?) I had a watch made by Texas Instrument, of all people. It had moving hands with a second hand, timers, etc all displayed on its liquid crystal display as it was totally digital but did not display digits ... loved it. 1st wife washed it.:mad:

I have looked for something similar since. Of course one would have thought that TI might have considered water resistance, but I guess that was too much for the engineers of the day.

So now, if I decided to start wearing again, I could have that technology on my wrist again. Magical what can be developed in 25 years. Too bad that I don't like ear buds for listening to music.

For what it is worth, does anyone here have a nano? How do you use it? What else can this little widget do? Are there apps for it?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The nano is overpriced (Sansas offer twice the storage space and more features for the same price), but for a product like that, it's nano or bust. I am not sure I could picture running headphones down into my watch though...

Looks good though!

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
If the nano incorporated Bluetooth and I could have wireless earbuds and stream from it in my car, I would by two in a heartbeat. As it stands now, I am with Rob. I couldn't see myself running a set of ear buds down to my wrist. If I have to remove the nano from my hipster watch, I will just stick to my Zune or iPhone.

EVERYTHING NEEDS BLUETOOTH!

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
If the nano incorporated Bluetooth and I could have wireless earbuds and stream from it in my car, I would by two in a heartbeat. As it stands now, I am with Rob. I couldn't see myself running a set of ear buds down to my wrist. If I have to remove the nano from my hipster watch, I will just stick to my Zune or iPhone.

Seriously Apple. Bluetooth.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member

I couldn't agree more.

marfig

No ROM battery
Looks pretty and the concept is interesting. But aside what was already said, it wouldn't agree with me also for the reason I don't like digital watches. In fact wristwatches are one of my passions. It's only money that stops me from getting into it. But in my good days used to wear a $ 2k Breitling (they can go much, much higher).

This is my current watch: http://www.watchshop.com/mens-festina-chrono-bike-2011-chronograph-watch-f16542-3-p99940491.html

Love chronographs. I had a boss with one huge collection proudly displayed in his home office. I contemplated a life of crime.

Brett Thomas

Senior Editor
I will say that for what the nano is, it's awesome - my father absolutely loves his. You can say what you will about the overpriced overseer that is Apple (we all know Rob's deep-seated hatred for the brand), but as far as ease-of-use and a "system," nothing else comes close. The nano is frankly just not a technophile product. It's not meant to appease us who already have all teh gadgetz. It's designed for people like my dad, who up until the last couple releases used to scoff at having to carry around something the size of a hockey puck just to listen to music, and then argued that purchasing and syncing music onto said hockey puck was a PITA.

That being said, I am TOTALLY with both Greg and Rob on this - I'd never run earbuds down to my wrist, and every iPod at this point should have bluetooth as a standard.

So for as cool as the hipster watch is, I would have to say that I'd rather stick to my bluetooth-enabled iPhone. ;-)

EDIT: After looking at all their choices, I have to say it's kinda cool if you already have a nano - re-purposing it to also be a watch...but I'm not sure I'd buy a nano for that privilege!

Last edited:

Psi*

Tech Monkey
marfig ... I do like that watch. I have always been into gadgets but when I started understanding how some are made & marketing (cost v demand & supply), I slowed my purchasing.

I do have an inexpensive Rolex Oyster Datejust I've had for a few years, but it is too expensive to wear for a normal daily. Nice is that it is all mechanical & self winding. I also have an inexpensive Citizen Eco-drive. Nice about it is that it has depreciated versus the Rolex & it recharges thru the dial ... so it is now cheap & still never needs a battery change. But I stopped wearing watches & just rely on the cell for time.

People's take on the nano is interesting. As innovative as Apple is, it is peculiar that the nano does not have BT. I would up the "want list" to have re-charging thru the face.