It's Best to Stay Clear of Apple Siri Ports

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
One of the most talked about pieces of tech this season is Siri, the voice recognition system that Apple included on its iPhone 4S. For owners of the iPhone 4 or earlier, not being able to install Siri's software on their phone is unfortunate, but as expected, many developers out there have been working on porting it over - to mixed levels of success.

apple_siri_120511.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

MacMan

Partition Master
I agree with your points completely. However, after playing with Siri, which is currently limited compared with U.S. version, I've nonetheless found it absolutely amazing to use. At times, I forgot I was talking to a piece of glass and aluminum, and at times I felt like I was talking to a real human being! I've seen others adding SiriProxies that allow Siri to control thermostats, tv's, car stereo systems, etc., so I can't wait to see how Siri progress's after emerging from its beta stage and starts shipping with a Siri SDK?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I stay clear of Apple altogether! :D

That seriously made me laugh, thanks for that :D

I've nonetheless found it absolutely amazing to use. At times, I forgot I was talking to a piece of glass and aluminum, and at times I felt like I was talking to a real human being!

That's the first I've ever heard that.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/11/02/siri-why-are-you-so-underwhelming/

Maybe it's something that needs to be used day-to-day rather than just once for a few minutes to understand what's wrong with it. No voice technology so far has ever impressed me, and from all I've read about Siri, it isn't set to change my mind.

marfig

No ROM battery
I'd too question any voice recognition technology. Especially on a cellphone, when not even a supercomputer can produce good results, considering all the nuances of the human voice and speech.

"Do you know the home address of my friend Miguel?" --- failed consistently on my friend's iPhone if I:

- Asked too quickly
- Spoke with an accent
- Imitated a cold
- Asked "What is Miguel's Home address?"

The lack of any support whatsoever for any other language than English also seriously limits the usability of this technology even for native speakers. Not to mention making it absolutely useless to anyone else.

That said Siri, like many other similar technologies is a technological showcase of how much we progressed in terms of voice recognition. A few years back the sentence above would just fail if you had the wrong tone of voice. So quite frankly, I'm happily amazed at how far we went on such a low spec device.

But the voice recognition is still an unsolved technological problem. And there's been too much ado for nothing. Siri is not better than many other similar products out there. Certainly not anywhere close to professional grade voice recognition software like Dragon, Tazti or the Proteus Conversational Interface. Just like with many things Apple, A subpar product is introduced (that isn't even a novelty, if we consider voice activated devices have existed for more than 20 years), and immediately hailed as the best thing since John Smith from Massachusetts accidentally dropped peanut butter on a slice of bread.

... and it's this level of blind and ignorant faith that irritates me. Not the product.

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
One of those articles Rob linked to mentioned Siri being a "Google-killer". How exactly? Incidentally, I noticed Google now has voice recognition as part of its search!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That's exactly my point, but I just don't care to waste my time Googling a zillion sites to make my point, just the one is enough!

So this "one is enough" rule applies to random blogs that get updated twice per month, huh? Surely you could have found a better source than that, given you only wanted to post one? I don't mean to discredit this blog, but that's as good as going up to some random person on the street and asking them their opinion - or linking to an Apple-biased website.

Was that quite literally the only site you found that backed up your opinions?

Either way, the fact is that Siri started out on a high, but things declined fast. People liked it at first, claiming it could be the future of computing, but after it was actually put to use for a few weeks by those who have a 4S, the realities of it all has become clear. Apple might well perfect this in time, but I don't see that happening for a good while (Nuance has been on this for ages, after all, and its Dragon suite is still far from perfect).

Speaking of, I wonder if Nuance get more in royalties from Apple's use of Siri than what it makes on its own software? I don't know a single person who uses Dragon except for a temporary trial.

One of those articles Rob linked to mentioned Siri being a "Google-killer". How exactly? Incidentally, I noticed Google now has voice recognition as part of its search!

That feature has been around for a while I believe. I still don't know who'd rather talk into a mic than just type out the query. Small query or not, talking out a search isn't exactly going to give you many advantages (unless you have no use of your hands, at which point it's brilliant).

MacMan

Partition Master
Was that quite literally the only site you found that backed up your opinions?

/QUOTE]

No, I could have sited many other sites, and you know it, but since I was rushing to get ready for an operation (just got out of the hospital Monday night and I'm still in pain) I simply grabbed the first site I've saw to illustrate the point that if one site says one thing, there's always another that will say the opposite. You seem very quick to point out any negative about Apple, so I simply thought I give a different point of view... do you have a problem with people who have a different opinion than yours?

Glider

Coastermaker
You seem very quick to point out any negative about Apple, so I simply thought I give a different point of view... do you have a problem with people who have a different opinion than yours?

I think I can speak for most here... We don't have a problem with different opinions, but we do have problems with fanboys

MacMan

Partition Master
I think I can speak for most here... We don't have a problem with different opinions, but we do have problems with fanboys

In that case you like NOBODY! Every one is a fan of someone or something, right? Maybe you like Lady Gaga, but if you do, I guess you can't speak of her. How childish! Rob likes Linux, as do I, therefore we shouldn't speak of them I guess, again, how childish! You simply assume too much, again, how childish!

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
In that case you like NOBODY! Every one is a fan of someone or something, right? Maybe you like Lady Gaga, but if you do, I guess you can't speak of her. How childish! Rob likes Linux, as do I, therefore we shouldn't speak of them I guess, again, how childish! You simply assume too much, again, how childish!

I don't know you and have only read a few of your posts so forgive me for not knowing you well enough to put you into this but.

A fan of a brand is one thing. A fanboy is a whole different story. Fanboy's often reject any truth that harm's anything they like. They force their opinion on people because they know they're right. They wouldn't be caught dead with the competitors product. They go looking and use the most insignificant thing they can find to say why they don't like a company's product. I mean geeze it must destroy me that my nvidia card uses 10 more watts than this guys amd card that doesnt even perform as well in the game im playing. He should totally use that in his argument right?

It's things like Intel vs AMD. If i say a damned thing about bulldozer I will get called an Intel fanboy when the truth is id still take a Phenom X6 over nothing any day. No one company can deliver a product to meet every need. Never stop considering the alternative.

A fan boy reviews a product looking for everything he doesn't like about it. Possibly even avoiding speaking of everything that works fine despite their preference.

"You" may like lady gaga, i think shes retarded and i still listen to a couple of her songs. I listen to country, rock, alternative, hip hop, rap. Not a single genre is limited to have a good track. But I as any human might bias against say classical, bluegrass, jazz, etc. There is a track here and there that makes it into my library. I'm 26 and have freaking Albert Ammons in my library. That's you this is me and unfortunately music barely relates to tech in this regard though.

Last edited:

marfig

No ROM battery
Either way, the fact is that Siri started out on a high, but things declined fast. People liked it at first, claiming it could be the future of computing, but after it was actually put to use for a few weeks by those who have a 4S, the realities of it all has become clear.

And that is basically the problem with fads. Particularly to do with technology; a branch of our daily lives that has unfortunately fell a victim to the most asinine coverage.

Siri, per se, isn't a bad technology. It's a cool technology. However many tech news websites and personal blogs fail to make it clear this is also a showcase technology that is far from being any good for any real daily use, much less a perfected technology. They just hail these type of technologies as breakthroughs when in fact they have existed for decades. Just in a form that many of these people who write about things they have no clue about, never heard before.

The problem with Siri (and speech recognition in general) is this; we got used to deterministic devices that answer correctly to our input. Be it a mouse, a keyboard or a gesture, we trust our devices to accurately interpret our commands and produce the expect output. Speech Recognition is far from having reached this level. And thus, very quickly, it reveals its weaknesses. In a day and age where fast and accurate human control is a staple of any device (from a PC to a smartphone), speech recognition is still, and just, a curiosity.

Apple might well perfect this in time, but I don't see that happening for a good while (Nuance has been on this for ages, after all, and its Dragon suite is still far from perfect).

Apple will perfect nothing.

Siri uses what is probably just a subset of Nuance's Dragon Express product for speech recognition. It then uses a second component known as Natural Language Processing, which essentially parses the recognized input and issues the proper commands to the device.

As an example, lets assume I talk to my iPhone and say "Send my calendar to Adam everyday at Eigth AM". More than just recognize the speech, NLP needs to interpret this command and with knowledge of the iPhone calendar, contacts and email applications, parse the command and issue the proper commands in the correct sequence.

Now, what really brings the technology forward isn't so much NLP. It too, but to a lesser extent. Our A.I. technologies are already very capable (although not yet easy to integrate on small handheld devices with limited specs). What really pushes the technology forward is Speech Recognition. This is the essential component that still requires quite a few decades of research so that we can have what I like to call Voice Control at the same level of a keyboard or mouse.

And Speech Recognition technology can only be developed by companies like Nuance and a few others (including some consortiums and non-profit organizations)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You seem very quick to point out any negative about Apple, so I simply thought I give a different point of view... do you have a problem with people who have a different opinion than yours?

I could almost ask the same thing, given how quickly you try to debunk anything I say that goes against Apple.

I read a large number of tech sites each day, some of which happen to be pro-Apple. I never stop reading at just one article, because that's not how you get the "big picture". This is the case of Siri.

You might note that when Siri launched, I said, "it does sound like one of the coolest features to come to a phone in a while."

Since then, there's been a lot more information and usage tests to come out, and with all those opinions I've consumed, I formed my own. You on the other hand seem to seek opionions of someone who agrees with you.

We're all entitled to our own opinions, and we're all entitled to disagree with the opinions of others. But more often than not, your opinions, and links to articles, seem to be heavily Apple-biased (I mean, you repeated that you found one URL under a time-constraint, and it managed to be some obscure blog that's barely kept updated - surely there would have been a more reputable source to come before that).

marfig said:
Apple will perfect nothing.

Alright, I agree here... it's not Apple's doing, but Nuance's. I do wonder - is Nuance locked into an exclusive partnership with this, or are other mobile OS vendors able to sign deals as well?

marfig

No ROM battery
I do wonder - is Nuance locked into an exclusive partnership with this, or are other mobile OS vendors able to sign deals as well?

We just don't know, unfortunately. Both Apple and Nuance have been very tight-lipped about their partnership. As is the unfortunate case of almost all Apple partnerships.

Personally I think there's a fat chance Nuance will ever lend technology to any other device or OS maker. The nature of these contracts is almost always exclusive. In any case, there are others developing the same technology. So vendors can go shop elsewhere. Nuance isn't the only kid in the block.

Nuance Exec on Siri:
http://techpinions.com/nuance-exec-on-iphone-4s-siri-and-the-future-of-speech/3307