Is Touch in Windows 7 Dead on Arrival?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Although Microsoft has many features they can tout about their upcoming Windows 7, InfoWorld is beginning to question whether the OS' touch capabilities should be one of them. I don't entirely disagree, as I have found little use for touch capabilities outside of handheld devices, or for "fun" activities on the computer, such as moving around photos, playing modest games, et cetera.

The question the InfoWorld writer poses, is more whether touch is even needed, rather than whether Windows 7 offers ample enough support. I've had many discussions with a few people in the past about this, and for me, it all comes down to lack of use. For most things on the computer, I'm simply not interested in ever using touch rather than a mouse. With a mouse, you have precise control... it's simple.

With touch, though, buttons generally need to be bigger (or the resolution lowered), and that in itself carries two problems. Either the OS is going to be uglier as a result, or if you keep a normal resolution, then certain buttons / pixels are difficult to push, simply because your fingertip is bigger than what you're trying to tap. You're bound to touch something around what you're trying to touch on a regular basis.

There's one more aspect that bugs me when I think about touch computing... the fact that you have to touch your PC. No duh, right? Well, imagine having to lift your hand all day to touch areas all over your monitor. It sounds a little counter-intuitive. I can't say I've done a marathon mouse session before and felt exhausted. So, touch obviously isn't for me, but what do YOU think? Post in the thread and speak your mind!

<table border="0" align="center"> <tbody> <tr> <td>
Credit: madstork91</td> </tr> </tbody> </table>
In using a Dell Studio One desktop and an HP TouchSmart desktop -- whose touchscreens based on NextWindows' technology are quite responsive -- I found another limitation to the adoption of touch technology in its current guide: The Windows UI really isn't touch-friendly. A finger is a lot bigger than a mouse or pen, so it's not as adept at making fine movements.

Source: InfoWorld

MacMan

Partition Master
Agreed...

From our front-page news:
Although Microsoft has many features they can tout about their upcoming Windows 7, InfoWorld is beginning to question whether the OS' touch capabilities should be one of them. I don't entirely disagree, as I have found little use for touch capabilities outside of handheld devices, or for "fun" activities on the computer, such as moving around photos, playing modest games, et cetera.

<table border="0" align="center"> <tbody> <tr> <td>
Credit: madstork91</td> </tr> </tbody> </table>
In using a Dell Studio One desktop and an HP TouchSmart desktop -- whose touchscreens based on NextWindows' technology are quite responsive -- I found another limitation to the adoption of touch technology in its current guide: The Windows UI really isn't touch-friendly. A finger is a lot bigger than a mouse or pen, so it's not as adept at making fine movements.

Source: InfoWorld

I've read and agree with this article. Yes, it's fun to spin the Google's earth globe, and it's ok for some things, but for the most part it's a pain in the you-know-what?

In fact, I think it's dangerous to your health! I've used both the HP Touchsmart and the sexy-looking new Dell all-in-ones, and even though they are certainly fine machines, the touch aspect is over stated. This is why touch on the Mac itself is underplayed by Apple, even though it started this whole multi-touch craze with the iPhone! After using both of the fine machines above, I have to admit it is not a very good or accurate way of doing most things, and after awhile I find that my wrists begin to start aching! This could lead, I suspect to a type of Tunnel Carpel like syndrome!

Not only that, but who wants to take the risk of scratching and greasing up one's monitor? Not me, that is for certain!

I love using the large multi-touch MacBook track pads and those of the iPhone/Touch. They are small and work extremely well for most things, but not all. For me, touch screens are great for some things, especially for kiosk's, etc., but in the home, a large touch screen is cool and what-not?, but are so limited in what they can do well that it's more-or-less a waste of money!

But then again, what-in-hell do I know?

Still, I think they are cool, but I will stick with a multi-touch track pad and mouse.

Last edited: