Is this a reason for concern?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
harddrive_smart_fail.png

Maybe a hard-drive expert can tell me whether or not this is a problem or not. Nothing is on the drive... just using it for testing. Every time I boot into Vista, it nags me to backup the drive and replace it.

Thanks!

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
Spin retry - could it have something to do with the lubricant in the motor bearings turning to goo? If there's a problem with the spindle motor, the drive's days are numbered.

THUMPer

Coastermaker
This is what I know.
Count of retry of spin start attempts. This attribute stores a total count of the spin start attempts to reach the fully operational speed (under the condition that the first attempt was unsuccessful). A decrease of this attribute value is a sign of problems in the hard disk mechanical subsystem.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well I plugged in another identical drive and it had a different error. The Reallocated Sector Count was red on that one. Seagate told me to run SeaTools ( I think that's what it is called ) and zero the drive and see if that fixes things. I won't be able to until the new week, but I am curious to see if that will actually help anything.