Is the Web Browser the Gaming Platform of the Future?

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
The gaming landscape has changed rather drastically in the past ten, or even five years, but what's in store for the future? More now than ever, casual gaming is big business, and so is "accessible" gaming. Many people today own a smartphone where a game is only a button push away, which quite simply is something that defines "accessible".

farmville_110209.jpg

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

On_Wisconsin

Coastermaker
Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation made an interesting point, something along the lines of the apps creators focus more on gameplay than gimmicks

marfig

No ROM battery
Holly! We all knew the potential for HTML5. But seeing it in action makes all the difference. Very cool indeed.

And here's another approach: NaCIBox, which is an implementation of Google's Native Client. Works only on Chrome for now. Allows us to play DOSBox games on the browser.

Browser games aren't something that interest me much. I cannot conceive myself spending much time with them, the same I completely ignore cellphone games. But I cannot ignore the advantages these can bring to a sizable market of consumer devices like phones and tablets that can eventually one day allow for sophisticated games to be played without this meaning the device has to conform to some advanced hardware specifications.

The only downside is the requirements on the server side. It's all fine playing quake or the Secret of Monkey Island on the browser. But what happens is there's 3,000 people playing?