Is Palm on its Deathbed?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
When thinking of the word "PDA", it's hard to not think of Palm, given that since the company was launched in the early 90's, its devices were in the hands of a lot of people. It can be said that those companies that kick things off early have the best chance of succeeding, but that's not really the case with Palm, as the company has been battling numerous issues over the past couple of years.

palm_graveyard_arstechnica_032210.jpg

You can read the rest of our post here.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
My own theory is marketing. In the case of Palm, the lack there of. The right kind of marketing can sell refrigerators to Eskimos ... there is some saying like that. When was the last time that you saw a TV ad for a Palm anything to do anything ... even if it was a mediocre anything?

I don't even think of Palm and had completely forgotten about the company until the latest to do about their death knell.

Alternatively, and a more negative spin, there is someone profiting from this. As marketing grads from even so called cr@p schools know better than to allow this to occur.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
The problem is, if marketing was that easy to do, then every company could be an Apple. :)

I've actually seen quite a few Palm Pre commercials, they made some news when they first started airing them because of how weird they were and the resulting innuendos that usually not far from people's minds after watching them. The commercials were really short and IMO were pretty bad for what they were targeted for.

It got to the point that even each teleco began airing ads for the Palm phones, but even they are all relegating them to the backburner in favor of the hotter selling phones. Palm had one last chance to save their brand image and turn it around, I think they blew it.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
The problem is, if marketing was that easy to do, then every company could be an Apple. :)

I've actually seen quite a few Palm Pre commercials, they made some news when they first started airing them because of how weird they were and the resulting innuendos that usually not far from people's minds after watching them. The commercials were really short and IMO were pretty bad for what they were targeted for.
That is my point ... marketing is quite challenging, but it never the less must be made. Apple's i-something-or-other ads are good and annoyingly frequent. With "good" and "often", you promote.

Put yourself in the position of making a quality web page of yourself or your business that you want to promote. It ain't easy!!