Internet Anonymity - How you can stay safe online

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Have you ever felt the need to remain anonymous, while surfing on the internet? Even if you are doing nothing wrong, it may be something to consider. In the article, we give great starter tips on how you can get on the road to anonymity.

internetanonymity_logo.jpg

Check out the article here, and feel free to discuss it here!

As mentioned in the article, I'm open to suggestions of other programs and websites I should have included in the article!

U

Unregistered

Don't forget about Tor!

Great article, and very informative. Can't wait to see the head-to-head review of the anonimity software you mentioned. I was surprised, however, to see no mention of Tor in your article. I don't know much about the subject, but I have been seeing a fair amount of hype about this new anonimity technology that uses "onion routers" to keep your identity private on the net. Maybe we'll see a head-to-head-to-head review then?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Thanks for the nice comments!

Sadly, I have not had a chance to try out Tor yet, but I will over the weekend. I would love to add information about this as well, but it may actually deserve it's own article, since it works differently than both Steganos and Anonymizer.

The way things look as well, Tor has the potential to bring anonymity to the next level.

U

Unregistered

Question

I have a question though which I hope someone can answer. I have seen websites that when you open a page it can show your email address. How can you prevent this from happening? I use Outlook Express to read my Hotmail account via HTTP and wonder how websites can "extract" your email address from your system?

Thanks
gogogo5

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Unregistered said:
I have a question though which I hope someone can answer. I have seen websites that when you open a page it can show your email address. How can you prevent this from happening? I use Outlook Express to read my Hotmail account via HTTP and wonder how websites can "extract" your email address from your system?

Hey,

I don't recall ever seeing that happen to me before. Do you happen to have a website as an example? Either way, I can't see it "grabbing" information from your Outlook, but rather the browser somewhere.

There must be a setting somewhere that you have your e-mail address in, because a site shouldn't be able to get any data from your computer without perfmission.

It could be that you are using a program or extension that automatically fills in your e-mail address as well.. if it is a field you speak of.

U

Unregistered

Hi Rob - I'll try to find a website that does. Yes the website would be grabbing it from the web browser and pre-populates a field when the web page has loaded. I am not using autofill features.