Intel Quad Core Price cuts for 7/22/07

NicePants42

Partition Master
Many will be interested in the Q6600, priced at $266 (per thousand). A sub-$300 Quad Core 2 is going to be a tough hurdle. Even if Barcelona is faster, the history of AMD and pricing doesn't get me thinking of sunshine and lollipops.

I hope, for the sake of consumers, that AMD makes it.

Link to Dailytech.

Another thing that looks interesting is the new P35 chipset recently used in Ananadtech's DDR2 vs DDR3 memory comparison - particularly the part on page 4 where they state:

"It is a noteworthy advantage with the P35 chipset motherboards that every Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad processor we tested on the P35 boards ran at 1333 FSB speeds at the stock multiplier without the need to increase voltage. This is a significant, free, and pain-free overclock provided courtesy of the new 1333 bus speed option. The only exception to this was our top-line X6800 which did require a mild voltage boost to run at 333x11 (3.67GHz)."

The table above this paragraph shows that they were able to run the Q6600 at 333x9 = 2.997Ghz, which is faster than a stock QX6800, which will sell for ~$1000 even after the 7/22 price cuts - and this was done without increasing core voltage.

Looks like upgrade path 'A' to me, and you can still choose your DDR flavor.

Last edited:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Tell me that isn't an incredible pricing scheme. If this holds true, and DailyTech has been money in the past on information like this, it's going to be an incredible buy for anyone who takes advantage of it.

madmat

Soup Nazi
I still don't understand why Intel didn't go with a 1337 bus instead of 1333. That's just too damned good to pass up on their part.

NicePants42

Partition Master
Tell me that isn't an incredible pricing scheme. If this holds true, and DailyTech has been money in the past on information like this, it's going to be an incredible buy for anyone who takes advantage of it.

And if 'anybody who takes advantage of it' translates well into 'anyone who was thinking about waiting for Barcelona', AMD could be in for some disappointing sales figures come Christmas time.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I am sure that is Intel's reasoning too. There is speculation that Intel is worried about K10 and thats what is prompting the price drop but I really don't buy that. Just one more example of Intel flexing their industry muscle.