Intel Issues X25-M Firmware Update, Upgrades Algorithms

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Over the course of the past year or so, Solid State Disk solutions have been praised up and down for their ultimate speed, reliability, form-factor and more. Of all the SSDs on the market, one model to hog a lot of attention was Intel's own X25-M, and for good reason. When launched, it offered incredible speeds not yet seen before (which have now been exceeded by other vendors), and where SSD storage is concerned, that happens to be fairly important.

But, the mood was damped when a report made a few months ago at PC Perspective was published, where the editor noticed that the performance from his personal drive degraded over time, and the benchmarks proved it. The blame for this issue was assumed to reside with the algorithm used, and since fragmentation actually occurred on a sub-block level, typical software defraggers didn't improve the situation, but rather made things even worse.

Intel followed up days after the originating article was published, and denied that they were able to replicate the issue. Well, it seems that didn't last too long, because last night, Intel shot out an e-mail saying that the issue has been fixed, and that a new firmware update was made available for those interested. When I followed up to make sure that the problem was actually fixed and not simply reduced, I was told, "The issue reported by PCP has been fixed completely".

To download the fix, you can go here. If you require support for whatever reason, you can refer to the support list here. I've flashed the X25-M's we have here, and it was the simplest firmware update I've done in a while. All it takes is you to burn an .ISO image to a CD, boot up and follow the on-screen instructions. Five minutes, and the problem is no more (at least we hope).

So, if a drive is in what previously seemed to be a permanently degraded state (as discussed, we still feel this is highly unlikely for a client PC user), and a user installs the new firmware they will feel an instant improvement for any sequential operations, which will get better in time as the drive cleans itself up further. This firmware will also prevent the user from getting into such a drastic state of fragmentation, and generally help ensure the sequential write performance is as good as it can be at any moment. This change really has no significant impact on random performance."

Source: PC Perspective

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Intel provided the flasher in the form of a bootable CD image. Simply burn the image to CD and boot from it. One of the features of the shipping firmware (8610) was that future firmwares could be flashed in-place, without the requirement to wipe drive data after flashing. While users should be able to flash their OS drive and boot right back into their OS, it is highly recommended that you backup your data beforehand.

Ahh, this answers my question. I was wondering why no one anywhere seemed to be mentioning that all data on a drive would be lost, but I see Intel fixed that issue. Now if other SSD manufacturers could just do the same...

The 8820 firmware allows the commands, meaning there is no longer an incompatibility with HDDErase 4.0. Those wishing to ‘start fresh’ with their X25 after flashing can now freely download and use the most recent version.

Ahh, good info to know.

Of the entries above, ID 5 is of interest. This entry relates to the number of flash blocks considered defective by the X25. A large spike in this value may indicate your X25 is nearing its end of useful life. My own drive still replies with 1 here, indicating it has 4 possible defective blocks (it's a 1:4 ratio for the 80GB X25-M). This is remarkable considering how hard I’ve been on it. Important note: A value of 99 here indicates 0 defects. It seems backwards, but that's how SMART reporting works.

Combining both of the above, another piece of knowledge I gleaned is that flash blocks marked as bad survive HDDErase passes. The drive will not have to rediscover these areas each time the drive is securely wiped. Just don’t get too wipe happy, as the rated 10,000 erase cycles comes up pretty fast when you are zapping the entire span of flash in one (30 second) shot.

Wow, I wondered if there was a way to monitor this. I also couldn't help thinking that PC Perspective's X25 would of begun to wear out after the hours upon hours of the torture it's been subjected to... amazing.

His theory about the X25-M being capped sounds like a good one. Its just amazing, after the entire episode Intel's SSDs come out looking even better than they did originally before PC Perspective discovered the problem.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Other SSDs require a data wipe? That's odd. This isn't the first FW update I've had to do on an X25-M, and none of those times required me to wipe the data. That would be a huge pain... wow.

As for that SMART information, that's interesting. I'll take a look at that later with the drives here and see how worn out ours are.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I don't know the history of Intel's X25-M firmware but PCP mentioned the exact firmware version that Intel released that fixed it so the data no longer was lost during firmware upgrades. Before this firmware version they also would lose all data during a firmware update.

I checked to make sure, but updating the firmware on all other SSDs including OCZ's Vertex will wipe the stored data off of them. Intel is the only SSD manufacturer that has worked around this that I know of.