Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition Review

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
To those looking to build the biggest, baddest high-end PC around, the wait for Sandy Bridge-E was no doubt painful. But, it's finally here, and much to our expectations, Intel has once again solidified its position as the performance leader. So let's take a look at what it offers, and compare it to the i7-990X, i7-2600K and AMD FX-8150.

Read through our look at Intel's latest and greatest six-core processor, the Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition, and then discuss it here!

Kayden

Tech Monkey
Great review Rob.

I still wont jump on the 6 core bandwagon and this helps prove why I wont, the games. I like my gaming and computer to be fast but it also has to be practical in regards to cost vs components. I can use 3 580's with my surround but what I can't use is a 6 core CPU that wont be used because the games themselves are not coded to take advantage of it, if I did a lot of media compression that would be a different story but since I don't, I wont bother.

I still think the 8 core is around the corner next spring and that is further being proven by the additional CPU power plugs on some Intel board yet to be released. I will jump from 4 to 8 for that price difference, but it just seems silly to jump to 6 core with high of a price tag.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
From a gamer stand point this proves yet again what a powerhouse the original Sandybridge chips are and how lacking AMD's latest and greatest is. LGA1155 is still the best option in my opinion unless you truly need a crazy fast system for multi-media or simply have more money than brains.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
From a gamer stand point this proves yet again what a powerhouse the original Sandybridge chips are and how lacking AMD's latest and greatest is. LGA1155 is still the best option in my opinion unless you truly need a crazy fast system for multi-media or simply have more money than brains.

Lol! What he said! :D

Nice review dude! I like it that they didn't get the Editor's Choice! AMD has ALOT of thinking to do! :cool:

Psi*

Tech Monkey
A very thorough review Rob. Looks like a lot of effort & well written.

I'm not sure when the next build will be but it will likely include this beast ... maybe as early as Feb '12.

It is fascinating how the different processors take the occasional lead away from i7-3960X.