Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 - The New Budget Superstar?

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
$70 shipped from Newegg, actually. ;)

The E7200 will give better performance though thanks to triple the L2 cache and higher clocks, although not double the price performance.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

power consumption of an overclocked E7200

Hi, Anyone of you tried measuring the power consumption of an overclocked E7200? Does it behave like the E84s and E85s which still consume less power even at overclocked mode compared to the Conroes?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hi, Anyone of you tried measuring the power consumption of an overclocked E7200? Does it behave like the E84s and E85s which still consume less power even at overclocked mode compared to the Conroes?

Actually no, that's something I didn't even think to test. Next time I have it in the rig, I can test that out, although I'm unsure when that will be due to my current workload.

Interesting how it would use less power with more performance though. Certainly not a bad thing.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member

It should, because you are comparing 65nm to 45nm. Conroe is 65nm. Anything 45nm will use less power at any clockspeed you want to compare it to with a 65nm chip.

2nutz

Obliviot
Hi guys, I was researching this particular processor and found your review and this forum.Thanks for such a comprehensive review, fantastic.I am looking at buying a new computer and on a budget thought this looked good
Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Dual core 2G/160G 20xDVD+/- RW
GeForce 8600GT 512 Meg 3D Video card New 45nm Core2 duo
for $550 AU. I don't play intensive games but do use video files a lot.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250271710606&ssPageName=ADME:B:FSEL:AU:1123
I can include more info or provide the link to the specs but am not sure if that is allowed here, so hopefully someone here will let me know...

Cheers for now

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
The 8600 is not that good of a GPU, don't let the 512mb video ram fool ya. I don't know much about AU prices but it doesn't seem like a bad price though? I would recommend 8800 anything or 9600 cards, even the ATI HD 3850/3870 would be better than the Nvidia 8600.

For just video files it should be fine though, but any new games that have or will soon come out would likely be a bit to much for that GPU.